Forum Discussion

dawns1
Experienced Cover User
3 years ago
Solved

Account Right Premier 2021

Hi,

We have moved our MYOB files online and after completing what I thought was the end of year roll over (which took about 5 seconds as opposed to an hour or so previous years),  it looks as if the invoices still all appear for the 18-19 year when I would have thought they should have been purged.

Our data file has always been on the large side and I am worried if these entries aren't purged the size of the file will increase instead of decrease with the end of year roll over.  

Also I cannot see where the file can be optimised or verified now.  These options all used to be available to us.

Can someone please advise if I am just looking in the wrong place for these options or they no longer exist?

Thanks in advance for any help provided  :-)

• Hi dawns1 

You would have noticed a few things have changed since v19. In AR2021 there are a number of new features, which is good. However there are also a number of features from v19 that did not make their way to AR2021.

The database used in AR2021 is different to the database used in v19. You no longer have or need File Verification or File Optimisation. If there is an error in the file the system simply crashes - you will see a 'Something has gone wrong and AccountRight needs to close' message if this happens. Sometimes it crashes even if there is no error.

Probably the most significant thing missing is the ability to Purge data after a FY Rollover. Yes FY Rollovers are much quicker as AR2021 does not need to update every transaction in the file as v19 had to. However many users miss the Purge function - esp those with larger files. MYOB believed Purging was no longer necessary as the new database should be able to cope with larger files - that was the theory. When v19 users with larger files were forced to upgrade to AR2021 due to Single Touch Payroll (Enterprise users in particular) MYOB were soon told (repeatedly) that AR2021 is extremely inefficient with larger files. Users asked (and begged) MYOB to restore a Purge function so users could keep their file sizes down - MYOB continued to respond with 'we have no plans to add a purge function' - instead telling users to start a new file (as if this was a simple process - it is not), or that they had 'outgrown' AR2021 - advising them to switch to the $30-$50K software called MYOB Advanced.

MYOB v19 coped reasonable well with a 1 GB file - AR2021 clearly does not. To be fair AR2021 has improved  a lot since AR2014 however those with larger files do and will continue to suffer performance issues.

If you are having issues with the performance (slowness) of AR2021, your options with AR2021 are:

• to start a new file or
    • get the file purged by a 3rd party who has developed a purge function for AR2021 - send me a private message of you want contact details
    • frown and bear it - get used to working at the new pace

Unless your computer has less than 8 GB RAM, upgrading hardware will make little difference. Some have spend thousands upgrading to a high end computer only to find this made no difference to the performance of AR2021. The issue is not your hardware, nor your internet connection, the issue is with how AR2021 works.

I know this is not what you want to hear, and you will not hear this from MYOB - you will only hear this from  frustrated users.

Regards

Gavin

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi dawns1 

You would have noticed a few things have changed since v19. In AR2021 there are a number of new features, which is good. However there are also a number of features from v19 that did not make their way to AR2021.

The database used in AR2021 is different to the database used in v19. You no longer have or need File Verification or File Optimisation. If there is an error in the file the system simply crashes - you will see a 'Something has gone wrong and AccountRight needs to close' message if this happens. Sometimes it crashes even if there is no error.

Probably the most significant thing missing is the ability to Purge data after a FY Rollover. Yes FY Rollovers are much quicker as AR2021 does not need to update every transaction in the file as v19 had to. However many users miss the Purge function - esp those with larger files. MYOB believed Purging was no longer necessary as the new database should be able to cope with larger files - that was the theory. When v19 users with larger files were forced to upgrade to AR2021 due to Single Touch Payroll (Enterprise users in particular) MYOB were soon told (repeatedly) that AR2021 is extremely inefficient with larger files. Users asked (and begged) MYOB to restore a Purge function so users could keep their file sizes down - MYOB continued to respond with 'we have no plans to add a purge function' - instead telling users to start a new file (as if this was a simple process - it is not), or that they had 'outgrown' AR2021 - advising them to switch to the $30-$50K software called MYOB Advanced.

MYOB v19 coped reasonable well with a 1 GB file - AR2021 clearly does not. To be fair AR2021 has improved  a lot since AR2014 however those with larger files do and will continue to suffer performance issues.

If you are having issues with the performance (slowness) of AR2021, your options with AR2021 are:

• to start a new file or
    • get the file purged by a 3rd party who has developed a purge function for AR2021 - send me a private message of you want contact details
    • frown and bear it - get used to working at the new pace

Unless your computer has less than 8 GB RAM, upgrading hardware will make little difference. Some have spend thousands upgrading to a high end computer only to find this made no difference to the performance of AR2021. The issue is not your hardware, nor your internet connection, the issue is with how AR2021 works.

I know this is not what you want to hear, and you will not hear this from MYOB - you will only hear this from  frustrated users.

Regards

Gavin

dawns1
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Gavin,

Gee, thanks for the information.  You are right, not particularly what I wanted to hear.

I reckon our biggest file crashes at least once a day, generally when I am trying to record a large

invoice (about 150-200 line items) which it obviously can't handle.  It will take forever to record, then come back with a message of unable to record, timed out and do I want to retry? or  other users have made changes to the invoice ( ummm no they haven't) and then continue to time out until I cancel the recording.  This can take up to  several minutes to record  which can be a little frustrating.  Big probelms I know but we pay a couple of hundred dollars a month for this service.........

Appreciate your honesty over this problem.  You are right, have not heard from MYOB at all.

Acme_20_yr_cust
        Experienced Cover User

I've found that sometimes when an invoice or PO won't record that if you switch to Quote it will record, at least not losing the time to input, and then change to an order or invoice.  Works 99% of the time for me.

We have large file, and use job system, and autobuilds, - the file is slow, needs purging and just needs turbocharging.  We moved to a new fil this FY but NO DIFFERENCE getting rid of all history except last year.  Frustrating.