Forum Discussion

TomD
Trusted Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Terminating a staff member

Are there any guidelines/tips on how to best terminate a staff member in MYOB?

I am not referring to tax calculations but simply when to actually put a tick box into the Payroll Details Box on the employee card.  With casuals working for periods of time, then not coming in for a while, then sometimes starting to work again, we often did not terminate them as such. 

I am trying to better understand what the termination date does in MYOB and if this then prevents me from paying Superannuation that was accrued and is paid later at the end of the quarter. Are there any implications with respect to rolling over the payroll year and I should I wait for a general cleanup until we roll-over to July? 

Will this tick influence any reports I may need to run for STP or otherwise?  What happens if an employee was terminated but comes back to work - can we just untick this or do we need to do something else?

• Hello TomD 

When entering in a termination date you are telling the software and the ATO when you report the termination date that you are no longer paying that employee. Depending on the employee's workplace agreement and reason for leaving can affect final payments.

I have attached a Help Article on processing a final pay which details all the steps in processing a termination.

Final pays can get complicated so we recommend you speak to an accounting advisor about the specifics of your final pay.

Please let me know how you go.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello TomD 

When entering in a termination date you are telling the software and the ATO when you report the termination date that you are no longer paying that employee. Depending on the employee's workplace agreement and reason for leaving can affect final payments.

I have attached a Help Article on processing a final pay which details all the steps in processing a termination.

Final pays can get complicated so we recommend you speak to an accounting advisor about the specifics of your final pay.

Please let me know how you go.