Australia
Sabin
Experienced Cover User

23Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Accruing provision for annual leave

Hi Community,

I have another quick question regarding accruing provision for annual leave.

1. I need to know how to accrue provision for annual leave. I know the journal entry but what I am trying to find out is, if I should expense individual employee (P&L) or just use one account as a whole.

2. I read the instruction to add up the accruals but couldn't find instruction on how to adjust once the employee takes the leave.

3. Also, does sick leave need to be accrued or just annual leave and long service leave? 

3. Is it easier to keep track of it, if done monthly or quarterly or semi-annually?

Thank you for your kind help on this matter.

6 REPLIES
Ultimate Partner ronatbas
4,184 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
ronatbas
Ultimate Partner

4184Posts

2964Kudos

655Solutions

Re: Accruing provision for annual leave

@Sabin

I am assuming that AO has a payroll module. Unless in it AO works differently than in Plus/Premier you are going to get into all sorts of problems using journal entries into the accounts. Among other things you not be able to accrue leave and will not be able to create a Payment Summary at year end. I would suggest that you seek out some training in Payroll. If you select a Certified Consultant in your area or online they will setup your file correctly and address the multiple facets that must be addressed before you run a pay. They will also be able to bring existing leave accruals, setup wages correctly and take you through the treatment of super. 

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Experienced Cover User Sabin
23 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Sabin
Experienced Cover User

23Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for your reply.

I cannot believe it would be that complicated. I have been advised that it is pretty much straightforward stuff. Can't I just get some MYOB notes on it and learn myself. 

Ultimate Partner ronatbas
4,184 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
ronatbas
Ultimate Partner

4184Posts

2964Kudos

655Solutions

@Sabin

Of course you can do self training - but one problem with payroll is that some errors/ lack of setup do not become apparent until some way down the track. There are some who have visited this forum with horror stories at year end when they go to Payment Summaries and are unable to reconcile their pays to the GL.

Most problems are easily rectified but it is a matter of knowing where to look and what to look for. Entitlements are a world of their own and if you read through a few queries here you will see some of the issues. They generally relate to exemptions of different payroll categories.

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
MYOB Moderator CloverQ
6,608 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

6608Posts

434Kudos

1061Solutions

Hi @Sabin,

Assuming you are using AccountRight, I would suggest checking out this Online Help article, hopefully it'll give you some insight:

Tracking leave accruals as liabilities

Kind regards,
Clover
MYOB Client Support
23 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Sabin
Experienced Cover User

23Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you very much, Ron. Much appreciated. 

23 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Sabin
Experienced Cover User

23Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Many thanks, Clover. Much appreciated. Smiley Happy 

Didn't find your answer here?