Cover User
Australia
forcomplaints
Cover User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Ridiculous Customer Service Response

Just recently my annual subscription fee is due, and I was calling up to update my payment details.

Just out of curiosity I asked the customer service gentlement from the billing and account department if there are any other payment methods available other than a direct debit from my credit card. A simple answer "No." was given and I was amazed that customers of MYOB have such limited options. 

I explained to the gentleman the reason why I wanted another payment options is that I want to know exactly how much I will be charged before I make the payment. Direct debit from my credit card is acceptable given if a notice will be sent to me on the amount I will be paying. The gentleman then told me that an invoice will be sent to me once the direct debit is processed. I thought I was not clear enough so I asked the gentleman if MYOB send out notification before processing direct debit. Another simple "No." was given.

So from the gentleman's respone I can understand that MYOB holds hundreds of thousands business credit cards, charging them monthly or annually on an amount not knowing by the owner of the credit card, then and ONLY THEN tells the owner of the credit card we just charged your $XXXX on your card. 

I thought the gentleman was not realising how ridiculous the response I was given, so I said to him "I know MYOB subscription fee is subject to change at roughly 10% annual increment, what if MYOB all of a sudden decided to pump up the price by 200% percent, I still got no option  but to pay you guys first???" Shockingly a "yes" was given to me and I was totally speechless. Luckily he then heard what he said and put me on hold to ask for help.

He came back and told me customers will be notified with the price change every year in March which is good enough for me because I just want to know how much I will be charged.

So thats the story, I hope you guys can seriously consider the payment options for your customers, out of so many businesses that are using MYOB I am sure that we are not the only one that wanted other payment options.

And just a side note, I've been subscribed to MYOB online service for the past 3 year, annual price has increased by 17%, 11%,10%, from $516 to $732, just wondering how this works? Price subject to changed based on what? CPI? GDP?

Looking forward to your response.

5 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
20,820 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

20820Posts

2310Kudos

2901Solutions

Re: Ridiculous Customer Service Response

Hi @forcomplaints

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge

MYOB does provide two methods of payment for their recurring AccountRight subscriptions, credit card payment or direct debit (of a bank account) - based on what you have described the other method was not explained to yourself so sorry to hear that was the case. A payment profile for your AccountRight subscription can be updated using your my.MYOB account by selecting My Account>>Payment Profile. Alternatively, we can send out the Direct Debit request form to arrange for that to be set up if required. Do let us know if you would like that to be issued.

In terms of the subscription itself, the way AccountRight subscriptions work is that you are locked in for 12 months at the cost of your subscription based on the date in which you sign up. For example, if you sign up on 01/08/2017 you have that price locked in for 12 months (until 31/08/2017). If that subscription price does increase during that time you will not be charged that increased amount until that locked in 12 month period has elapsed at which point you would get that new price locked in for 12 months. Clients will be notified by email prior to the subscription increase.

The cost of subscription does typically get revisited each year. Some of the core considerations that goes into our pricing decisions is the value delivered to our clients in the past year by way of new features and functions, the costs involved in developing new features and the infrastructure costs of providing these services.

Do let us know if you would like to know information about your subscription or your AccountRight product. I'm sure the MYOB Community would be happy to assist.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Ultimate User gavin12345
1,584 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

1584Posts

1323Kudos

245Solutions

Hi @forcomplaints

You wrote:

"So from the gentleman's respone I can understand that MYOB holds hundreds of thousands business credit cards, charging them monthly or annually on an amount not knowing by the owner of the credit card, then and ONLY THEN tells the owner of the credit card we just charged your $XXXX on your card. "

It gets better - this even happens AFTER MYOB have been instructed in writing to NOT charge any renewals. A friend of mine provided credit card details for a one off payment, stipulating clearly auto renewal should be switched off. As he was aware of issue other had getting money back from MYOB, he also send an email stressing no further charges should be made. He checked his my.myob log in and looked under My Account>>Payment Profile (as indicated by @Steven_M) which did not show any credit card details and no payment profile.

He was thinking he was safe - until he received late payment notice when MYOB tried to renew the subscription by charging his credit card. So even though my.myob showed no payment profile and no credit card details, MYOB still kept the data somewhere in the system and tried to charge him for a subscription renewal he didn't want, didn't ask for and in fact specifically asked not to have. No renewal notice, no notification of price increase - nothing. 

Luckily he had lost his credit card and it was cancelled, otherwise he would have been charged. And would then have to jump through hoops to get the funds refunded. 

Therefore I agree with you that as a minimum BEFORE charging your credit card or direct debit, MYOB SHOULD send a renewal notice so users will know how much they are up for and will have an opportunity to cancel beforehand if they so choose.

Regards

Gavin

Community Manager Suja_P
5,446 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Suja_P
Community Manager

5446Posts

1928Kudos

454Solutions

Hi Gavin (@gavin12345),

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's experience. The only reason I can imagine this happening is if his credit card had been linked to more than one account. 

Glad to know that the issue has since resolved itself, but I'd like our team to take a closer look into the details to ensure that whatever resulted in such an experience is prevented in the future for other MYOB customers. 

Would you therefore please private message your friend's account details to me? 

Kind regards,

Suja Pillai
Social Support and Community Manager
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd

Ultimate User gavin12345
1,584 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

1584Posts

1323Kudos

245Solutions

Hi @Suja_P

Thanks. He assures me the credit card details were supplied only in relation to the one account. He also showed me a sceenshot of the my.myob payment profile. I have sent you a private message with the details. 

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Community Manager Suja_P
5,446 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Suja_P
Community Manager

5446Posts

1928Kudos

454Solutions

Thank you for sending me the additional information, Gavin. 

I'll request our finance team to investigate this and will get back to you with my findings. 

Kind regards,

Suja Pillai
Social Support and Community Manager
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post