stopress
Experienced User

39Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Roll Over to a New Financial Year

Hi,

I have just managed to complete the roll over of the financial year but I noticed that our file size has increased substantially from 762MB to 827MB.

Does this pose any threat to our company database in the future or did I skip a process to reduce the file size?

I noticed that when the file size is large, processes are quite slow.

Please advise.

2 REPLIES
Ultimate User gavin12345
1,682 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

1682Posts

1367Kudos

265Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: Roll Over to a New Financial Year

Hi @stopress

MYOB has 2 AccountRight product ranges, the AR2017 (or Live) range and the v19 (or Classic) range. You did not mention which product version you are using.

With the v19 range, the file size grows doing rollover. There is an inbuilt purge function which purges by default. With the v19 range, file size is an issue. As files get bigger, processing is slower. MYOB therefore provided the purge function to keep file size down. What they often fail to point out (and I don't think the financial year rollover process points this out either) is that the file size will not go down even though records are purged, until the file is Optimised (File > Optimise company file). FYI do this locally not over a network, and you will find the file size will reduce.

With the AR2017 range, technically if designed and coded properly, file size should not matter so much due to the design of the database used. Sure when gathering lots of data, the bigger the file the longer it will take, however when processing individual transactions, file size should not be an issue. MYOB therefore decided NOT to include a Purge function. Nor did they design or code it properly, and so larger files struggle in every regard.

The financial year rollover process is very different in AR2017 and the file size should not grow as a result, unlike the v19 files.

My guess is therefore that you are using v19 - in which case optimisation should reduce the file.

Regards

Gavin

Experienced User stopress
39 Posts
Experienced User
stopress
Experienced User

39Posts

3Kudos

1Solutions

Re: Roll Over to a New Financial Year

Hi Gavin,

Thank you so much for the useful information.

I agree with you that it would be best that after the roll-over instructions, an added step included would be to perform the optimisation process.

I can quickly run processes on MYOB as the file size has greatly reduced from a mammoth size of 800MB to now, 200MB.

Thanks.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post