AccountRight

Credit Card Surcharge

CartonConcepts
9 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

Current Status: Under consideration

Last Changed: March

Thank you everyone for your comments and votes on this idea.

Those of you who have used PayDirect Online will find it to be a great tool to make collecting invoice payments easier. By giving your customers the ability to pay straight from their online invoice, you can now spend lesser time chasing payments.

According to the RBA, in Australia it takes an average of 45* days for an invoice to be paid. And we have found that invoices that are paid using PayDirect Online are paid on average in just 11 days. That’s a reduction of the average payment time by almost three quarters!!

We recognise that having the ability to oncharge credit card surcharge is a very popular request among our PayDirect Online clients. However, research shows that while customers enjoy the benefits of being able to pay by credit card, they find the act of surcharge being passed on as an annoyance. Something that tends not to be rewarded by customer loyalty.

So, before we commit to the development of this request, we are conducting our own research to analyse the impact of such a change on the speed of invoice payments.

I will provide an update on this idea as soon as I have something more to share on the topic.

*Source: Dun & Bradstreet, “Australian Trade Payments Analysis: Payment times remain low in Australia”

160 Comments
kitma
3 Posts
Cover User

i have voted for this.

This definately needs to be implemented.

Meredith82
4 Posts
Cover User

I completely agree with the comments above. We will not be using PayDirect Online until this feature is enabled.

BusGirl
1 Post
Cover User

I also will not set this up until the automatic calculation of the credit card surcharge is enabled.

Kroma
1 Post
Cover User

I agree - need to recover the fees and pass it onto the card holder, as with airlines, hotels and other service companies.

Partner SZAent
7 Posts
Partner

3 of my clients really want to implement this but won't until the automatic surcharge to his customers willing to pay the surcharge themselves applies. It sounds easy - if you want to pay the invoice via credit card, there will be a 2.2% surcharge. The ATO do it with their credit card payment facility for BAS returns, so it should be easy to implement. 

Experienced Cover User Tanialmm
61 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I have set up the service but probably won't use it because the cost is too high.  I understand the $0.25 transaction fee, however a 2.2% surcharge is excessive and not in line with regular banking credit card facilities.

fayef
1 Post
Cover User

Yes same here, i wont be using pay direct unless myob can automatically generate the charge to cover the surcharge to the customer.

Contributing Cover User Muster
10 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Our margins are tight enough. We currently charge a surcharge to customers who pay by credit card, which only covers the fee that we pay. As such a tiny percentage of our customers current pay via credit card it is nor fair to the others, nor viable in our industry, to raise our prices to cover this extra cost.

Linbeck
1 Post
Cover User

Yes, agree.  Need to have option and automated to calculate credit card surcharge, if customer chooses to pay by credit card.

ACPT
1 Post
Cover User

I was just about to set up PayDirect when I realised it was not an option to pass on charges - I won't be using PayDirect until this option is available.