Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
chocks_away
Contributing Cover User
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Hello MYOB are you reading what YOUR customers are saying?  For small business credit card fees are just like GST - a direct pass through cost!

So is "under consideration" as good as it gets?

(BTW I'm still very unhappy about the 19% price rise in my MYOB subscription from last year...)

HappyCatEnclosu
2 Posts
Cover User

I have just added on the paydirect online option to our business and have realised that we're definitely not going to use it as the fact we can't pass the fees on to the customer through a surcharge means it's not at all viable for us. As a business we already pay hefty overheads and don't need to add on even more just so a customer can pay quick through an online invoice. I'd rather just let the customer call me and make the payment over the phone with our eftpos terminal. Every other business I know who uses online invoicing has the ability to pass the surcharge on to their customers. Most customers aren't worried about paying an extra 2.2% surcharge on a one off bill whilst if you add up all of those 2.2% surcharges and make the MYOB business owner pay them the price is huge. Definitely not worth it. 

Mascotte
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Another business here who won't use the PayDirect service until I can pass on the charges.  Cannot believe that it is taking this long for them to get this sorted out.  

So in the meantime, I let my customer's know that I can take credit card payments over the phone using Square at 2.2%.  

stephieewm
5 Posts
Cover User

I'm quite unhappy with MYOB's response that adding this feature could increase the payment time and that our customers would be unwilling to pay the surcharge.

Regarding the payment time, many of your customers obviously feel that this feature would be a benefit to our business and we would have the choice on whether to oncharge the surcharge to our customers. 

Regarding our customers being happy to pay the surcharge, they could still have the option to pay by EFT and not pay the surcharge.

Adding this feature would be a win/win.  Please arrange to add this feature ASAP and keep your own customers happy Smiley Happy

renee4444
11 Posts
User

I dont see why this is such a hard thing for MYOB to do. Other competitors software have this facility already. They automatically charge the customer and post the transactions for you. 

Aterfloris
1 Post
Cover User
Hi, a basic question. Where do I change the fee value in the information box on my customised invoice. It is not an editable value except to delete the whole box. I assume it has been set somewhere else in myob but I am not sure where. Can someone help?
David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello @Aterfloris

Do you mean the charge for late payment?

If so have a look on the customer card / Selling Details tab and you will see where the % comes from.

Capture.JPG

Cheers

David

diesel
6 Posts
Cover User

Make it an option so us as the supplier can choose weather we want to apply the surcharge or absorbe it ourselves. 

Suzi_Byrom
Contributing Cover User
50 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Exactly @diesel, it's not rocket science hey.

It's approaching 12 months since MYOB changed the staus to 'Under Consideration' and advised that "before we commit to the development of this request, we are conducting our own research to analyse the impact of such a change on the speed of invoice payments". 

It would be really good if as part of MYOB's recent email notifying us of yet another "Just a little" increase in their rates, they actually implimented the requests of their clients/subscribers. 

Feb 2017 - $110.00 (up from $99) and now another increase in Feb 2018 to $121.00 ... I see a pattern forming here MYOB and I'm not happy about it at all.

@chocks_away I'm assumming that you'd be even more unhappy about another increase too?

diesel
6 Posts
Cover User

The way I see it MYOB dont want to pass on the credit card fees because more customers will end up paying EFT so MYOB miss out on their cut. As for the subscription increases MYOB say they are implelmenting all these new feautres but all they are doing in trying to catch up with the competitors and charging us to do it.