Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Payroll: Automatically set up long service leave

Experienced Cover User

91Posts

18Kudos

0Solutions

91 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
New
New

It seems such a backward step that MYOB has absolutely no facility to automatically accrue long service leave and therefore requires users to keep separate records by way of spreadsheets etc. Seems this is such a fundamentally basic requirement that not having this facility is very inconvenient. As we are dealing with employee entitlements having this function is a necessity as it is a company liability and as such should be factored into the financial records as a liability.  We have several employees who have been employed for 7+ years and now find we have to maintain a separate spreadsheet to correctly maintain records.   Please include a check box under entitlements so that the accrual begins on the 7th year anniversary for all employees or whatever a particular awards dictates.  We also should be able to adjust the carry forward also.

Thanks

"Long Service Leave Accrual"

8 Comments
Bek_Lightmare
Trusted Cover User
53 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Most definitely backward! It should be a standard function, shouldn't it??

bells02au
Experienced Cover User
91 Posts
Experienced Cover User

@Bek_Lightmare yes I would think it should be too!

ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner

The LSL facility is readily setup in Entitlements and Wages. The only problem is that you need to be aware of the LSL rules for your state as they do vary. The way that LSL accrues is one of the main differences.

bells02au
Experienced Cover User
91 Posts
Experienced Cover User

@ronatbas I most certainly understand that the wages category is there but the accrual function is the biggest downfall.  I also understand each state has different laws, also different awards have different rules also, however, it should be a standard function with options that will be relevant to your state and award/s.  As I said I feel this is a rather large deficiency considering this liability should be easily accessible and tracked, we should not have to use 3rd party software to do this. 

bells02au
Experienced Cover User
91 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I guess this opens up an opportunity to a savvy developer to make an add-on I am sure they will profit from this

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello Belinda,

What you ar after might possibly be found in a high-end payroll programme that would cost you many thousands per year to own and operate. you should not expect that this functionality would be in a relatively inexpensive general purpose accounting passage like MYOB Account Right.

I can well immagine the complexity of such a payroll package to have iincluded and to be kept up to date the differing requirements of each state's legal requirements, various awards, full-time and casual employees, average hours over a period and industry LSL portable funds.

As Ron has pointed out however previously, the accrual of LSL in MYOB is handled well for most situations already. Have you looked at the various MYOB Support Notes on the subject?

http://myobaustralia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9160/kw/9160

http://help.myob.com/wiki/display/ar/Long+service+leave

http://myobaustralia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9157/kw/9160/related/1

http://myobaustralia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9159/kw/9160/related/1

http://myobaustralia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9116/kw/9160/related/1

You mention that the accrual should automatically turn on when 7 years service has passed. I have some clients who want to accrue from day one of employment, others who consider that they want to accrue after 5 years as the employee is likely to get to seven, and others who want to start at 10 years. there is no hard and fast understanding of the issue.

Best regards

David

LuciaBolcich
Experienced Cover User
33 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I am suprised that MYOB hasn't already set up this function for long service accruals.  Has this been dicussed and will it happen?

As i'm finding myself having to keep track of employees that have been working with us for over 7 years.

Lucia

ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Over the almost 4 years that this thread has existed it seems to still float to the top every so often.

MYOB does not have facility to automatically accrue any leave, it is a deliberate action of setting up the leave correctly then ticking a particular staff member for a given leave. LSL does not exist in the same way that 5 weeks annual leave does not exist, yet people who want make sure that their shift workers who are entitled to 5 weeks leave, get it.

LSL does have another complication, the rules for accumulation and taking of LSL are different in every state. The starting point should be your state based Industrial Relation body, in Victoria it is Business Victoria. If you are familiar with the backroom of MYOB it is a straight forward matter to create the LSL and, if necessary, update the accrual to match previously held numbers