Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales: Extending Invoice number character limit

Cover User

1Posts

33Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User

Hi MYOB,

Since I've started to use MYOB over a couple of years ago, I've struggled with issuing Invoices as the Invoice number field is way too short. Each company has their own way of setting invoice numbers and giving users only eight (8) characters is way to restrictive! Your MYOB invoices that you issue to me is 13 characters so why do you restrict us with only 8?

Other company's invoices have the following characters in their Invoice number field:

- Yarra Valley Water = 15 characters

- MYOB = 13 characters

- Telstra = 12 characters

- Vodafone = 10 characters

I really hope that this could be changed soon so we could finally put our actual invoice numbers on our invoices.

Thanks.

"Invoice number field too short"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: September 2020

Hi Everyone

The release of AccountRight 2020.2 has increased the Invoice Number field size from 8 characters to 13 characters.

12 Comments
TLK
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Id like to see more characters in the emploee Card details box so more info can be kept over time, also more characters needed than 8 in the PO box of purchases.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner

The invoice numbering system is archaic and remains at the old 8 aphanumeric length.

I had hoped that v15 had changed this but have found out [from a post this morning ] that this has not changed.

Leading zeros for invoice numbers that are considered by MYOB internals as a number seems outdated.

ie 00000001         is silly -when I pay this invoice is the ref number 00000001 or 1

I know why it occurs - because this number is an alphanumeric - but if it looks like a number smells like one and increments like one MYOB will treat it as one.

Hence the auto system

And if you remove the leading zeros MYOB puts them back - but remove them and put an A in the number as

A1 or 1A and MYOB doesnot add back the zeros.

However with a max of 8 alphas - if we need to make provisions [sensibly] for Credit Notes and re-sssues then we shorten our allowable numbering system.

ie. lets say we have an invoice 12963  which would be stored and printed as 

And we need to create a credit in full - can't be 00012963CN as that is 10 characters.

So we remove 2 leading zeros and put 012963CN - and the number becomes very different to 00012963

So instead of using numbers we add an A and make it 

12963A   - and MYOB permits this and stores it as "12963A"  and alphanumeric

Now we can issue a credit note 12963ACN and a re-ssue 12963B - and these will sort correctly in MYOB 1 after the other - so the book keeper can see at a glance CN and re-issues relating to the original 12963A - goodaccounting procedure.

However - we now limit the numbering system effectively to 99,999 invoice numbers before restarting.

Please MYOB rethink this archaic invoice numbering system - make it 16 at least. - perhpas have 2 fields - a number and an alphanumeric!

The Doc - and yes a tick box to include or exclude leading zeros

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @The_Doc

Thanks for your feedback in regards to AccountRight.

I've just merged your idea with this similar idea already included on the AccountRight Idea Exchange.

andymacjsy
1 Post
User

I wish to increase the number of digits allowed to be entered in the invoice number field as it currently only allows 8 digits.  This does not allow me to comply with the invoice numbering system we use with our company.  How can I change this.

Regards

Andrew

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi @andymacjsy

The field is a text field and hence digits are not digits but characters - but yes this idea has been addressed many times but is an old request that MYOB seemed oddly not to address from the old 8 bit days to the now 64 bit days.

But it is unlikely to occur quickly as the programming problem as a programmer will be large.

Seems that instead of enlarging this field - leave this as a digit field and add a before and after alpha field - which could be either digit or characters.

The Doc

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

HI @andymacjsy

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the invoice number field

I have merged your idea with this one already included on the AccountRight Idea Exchange.

AHD
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User

and please increase the chars in the purchase order field, as our customers issue the number, it can be a code of upt to 15 alpha and numerics. Truncating the purchase order field makes it useless

fairdinkumdan
1 Post
Cover User

Agreed - its 2017 and still not changed!

nth_88
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I just called myob about this, its 2018 and after the release of a new update and this joke of a field remains the same length.  They told me though, that if you accumulate over 90million invoices, the field will automatically allow an addition charater so that you can keep going.  

Pretty much **bleep**py coding really.

Jess_StinsonAir
Partner
1 Post
Partner

Hi MYOB,

I agree with Wennos. We need more characters in the invoice number field! It would be great if your team could add this to the next available update.

Thanks!

Jess_StinsonAir