Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales/Purchases: Enter key preference not to remove text values (ship to, description)

Super Partner

666Posts

158Kudos

86Solutions

666 Posts
Super Partner

Using the ‘Enter’ key
(with ‘The Enter Key Works Just Like the Tab Key When Entering SOME Data’ preference ticked will cause the highlighted value in the following Purchase fields todisappear, just like it did in V19.6:-

1. ‘Ship to:’
  2. Description
  3. Header Lines

It would be great if that behaviour was rectified so that regardles of whether a user presses the 'Enter' key the existing values remain static.

"Field Value Stability"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: August 2012

Ok - I understand now - thanks! What this idea is now for is that when you press the TAB key OR you have the 'Enter key behaves like TAB' preference selected and press the ENTER key it should be able to navigate through the 'Ship To', 'Description' and 'Header Lines' in the invoice and Purchases screen, rather than delete the contents of those fields. We would need to implement CTRL-ENTER so you can still do multi-line in those fields - is that ok?

7 Comments
Mark_Smith
26 Posts
Former Staff
Thanks for the idea. The behaviour of the enter key is a topic of interest for us at the moment. A couple of things to clarify. See commens below.
Mark_Smith
26 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Tazter,

Could you clarify a couple of things please?

1. I gather you have you ticked the reference for 'enter key behaves...'. What are you expecting it to do without that preference ticked?
  2. Can you confirm that you like it erasing the data when you press the enter key?

One of our challenges is that we have tried to make it "like premier" as much as possible so you all see a familiar interface. We also want to make it more like other software on the windows platform so that it also for example, is "like office". 

With that in mind could you use space bar in the same scenario? Or delete? What makes the enter key so compelling? I have an idea why but it would help a lot if I could hear it from you.

Tazter
Super Partner
666 Posts
Super Partner

Hi Mark,

The issue or rather idea as we now have to classify them to get any notice from development, was reported by me as an issue over 3 months ago along with numerous other issues to the 'AR2011' email address supplied to me by MYOB to advise them of issues.  I'm just gradually getting to post them now on the 'New Ideas' board in view of the lack of acknowledgement from MYOB Development.

1. I clearly indicated that in the post "with ‘The Enter Key Works Just Like the Tab Key When Entering SOME Data’ preference ticked".  I was expecting it to not behave identically to when it is unticked - meaning the cursor would move to the next field just like pressing Tab key.
  2. Obviously it would not be an issue if I liked it to erase data whenever I pressed the Enter key.  It is certainly not "like office" at the present time.

One could compile a hefty thesis on "What makes the enter key compelling" but the simple truth is keyboard history; users who use the 'Enter' key instead of 'Tab' can effectively trace such useage back their use of office adding machines up to 30 years ago.  In other words pressing the 'Enter' key confirms to the user that what they have entered is correct, "so take me to the next entry point".

Tazter
Super Partner
666 Posts
Super Partner

Hi Mark,

This is a PS to my previous comment.

I'm a user who generally uses the Tab key as a rule but sometimes, as I'm human, I revert back to my old ways of "flicking" through fields using the 'Enter' key to get to a particular field; old habits die hard.

I'm a keyboard user and refrain from using a mouse only unless it is absolutely necessary; using a mouse for me means wasting time, however I noticed that TAFE students (being one myself last year - for a short time) are instructed to use the mouse at all times and this is evident in the Supporting Text Book (MYOB19 - AccountRight Plus Version 19 - Authors Gourlay & Flanders).

The most annoying thing about using the 'Enter' key in AR2011/2012 is the lack of consistency.

For instance this example:

1. With the 'Enter Key Works Just Like the Tab Key When Entering SOME Data’ preference being ticked
  2. Open invoice 00000025 in the Clearwater AccountRight Plus 2012 sample company file
  3. A user can "flick" through the 'Shipped', 'Backordered' & 'Item Number' fields using the 'Enter' key and the data in those fields remain static, just like pressing the 'Tab' key
  4. When a user attempts to 'flick' through the 'Description' field the value of the 'Description' disappears as earlier reported; it is no longer functioning like the 'Tab' key but like the 'Delete' key instead..
Mark_Smith
26 Posts
Former Staff
Ok - I understand now - thanks! What this idea is now for is that when you press the TAB key OR you have the 'Enter key behaves like TAB' preference selected and press the ENTER key it should be able to navigate through the 'Ship To', 'Description' and 'Header Lines' in the invoice and Purchases screen, rather than delete the contents of those fields. We would need to implement CTRL-ENTER so you can still do multi-line in those fields - is that ok?
sparksauto
2 Posts
Cover User

The same problem occurs if you use the tab key.

AHJS
Experienced Cover User
178 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Would love it if MYOB would look into this.  It Tab could move you and enter acts as a return to finish that transaction line to start the next it would reduce so much input time and strokes.