Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Statements: Don't produce statements with $0 owing

Experienced Partner

14Posts

28Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

When generating statements up to a particular date (e.g end of last month) MYOB provides a useful tickbox option - "Only included statements up to invoice date". However, you don't honour the "Include customers with zero balance" tickbox in concert with the previous option. i.e. you still list all these zero balance statements on the basis of the fact that the actual balance of the account is not zero (because of invoice(s) AFTER the specified date).

"Suppress the printing of statements with $0 owing"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2013

Hi jeanie, thank you for your suggestion. It would be great to see some feedback from the community about this change to see how they would like to see it work as an alternative.

15 Comments
TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

Hi Jeanie,

I do understand your dilemma and it is one that has confronted other users in the past and will continue to do so and perhaps made difficult to efficiently resolve with the advent of AccountRight Live.

I believe the problem stems from what is set as Trading Terms for your customers within your company file.  Please see the following link where it has been discussed:-

Printing/Emailing Statements to only include previous month invoicing

User GazzaA responded privately to me saying:-

Thanks for your response. Yes, I understand your explanation, however I have a situation were I was sending Statements as at Dec 31,  and have only one Invoice dated Jan 1 for a customer who I know has no other invoices outstanding.

This customer still appears in the list of Statements to be printed/emailed. My query is - why does this customer appear in the list when the filter is set to show only outstanding invoices dated prior to Dec 31?

Hope this makes sense

I responded privately saying:-

The only way I know is to avert that situation is to restore the backup of the company file (and giving it an appropriate name) done after close of business each month (on the last day of the month) and then run print/email statements from that restored company file when statements are required based on the end of that previous month.  Once they have been run I then close and remove it. 

The Trading Terms are again encumbering your specific instance as AccountRight identifies that although there is no outstanding invoices as at 31/12/2012 but there is one dated 1/1/2013 so it thinks "I need to print a zero balance statement to let the customer know that as at 31/12/2012 they are starting from a zero balance".  It does seem a bit silly but in accounting terms it is a reasonable concept.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggested workaround to avert that situation may be difficult or unmanageable to do in AccountRight Live so I believe this issue now needs thorough analysis and resolution from MYOB; therefore I have voted for it

Matthew_W
MYOB Staff
2,173 Posts
MYOB Staff
Hi jeanie, thank you for your suggestion. It would be great to see some feedback from the community about this change to see how they would like to see it work as an alternative.
multi-users-AR
2 Posts
Cover User

When creating email Statements after end of month. Clients with invoices dated eg 2/12/13 and having no invoices in the previous month are receiving a 'nil statement'. This does not look professional. Last advised MYOB Consultants of 11/12/13 who could not assist 

TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

Hi @multi-users-AR 

What you have suggested has already been submitted as a 'New Idea' on this link Suppress the printing of statements with $0 owing

This issue has been around for a very long time in all AR versions (at least from Accounting Plus V13 in 2003);  I've suggested a workaround in my comment posted on that new idea which may be of use to you.  I have voted for that 'New Idea'.

Please vote for it.

Thank you.

T_M_G
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

This isn't so much an idea but what I perceive may be a fault with AR. When sending statements and you enter a date for statements up to & including, e.g. 31.01.15, it sends out a blank statement to anyone with an invoice after that date.

It's very frustrating for both your and the recevier and causes unnecessary work responding to queries about the blank statement.

Can this be fixed/changed so that no statement is sent to customers with invoices raised after that date.

Kelly81
Experienced Cover User
260 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I would have expected this to be default....

TonyLane
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User

Hi @T_M_G 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum.

Your suggestion already exists on this link Suppress the printing of statements with $0 owing; please read its comments and vote for it by clicking its '+Vote' icon.

My comment on 25/6/2013 includes a work around that can be used.

Thank you.

Kelly81
Experienced Cover User
260 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Invoices for future months or dates after statement date SHOULD NEVER EVER be included on a statement unless that date is specified.

This is a very poor feature.

SouthEast_IT
Contributing Partner
11 Posts
Contributing Partner

If a customer has a zero balance owing at 31/12/14 and an invoice dated 1/1/15, even if you uncheck the Include customers with zero balances, select Only include invoices up to Statement Date which I set at 31/12/14 then the customer will receive a statement with nothing on it. I then receive phone calls from customers wondering if there is some kind of error. Can you please fix so that customers don’t receive zero statements.

kerry17
Experienced Cover User
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I agree with the above comments.  We also get a number of phone calls and emails from people querying why their statement has a zero balance or complaining that we haven't done the job yet so why are they getting the statement.  It is time consuming to deal with these emails and calls plus it is embarassing and unprofessional.  It's irritating and I would have thought it would have been addressed with the latest version of Account Right Live.  I'm disappointed to find it hasn't been.