AVG Identifying AccountRight 2017.1 update as a Trojan

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,073 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

AVG Identifying AccountRight 2017.1 update as a Trojan

Hi Everyone

We are aware that some clients running AVG antivirus have been receiving warning that the AccountRight 2017.1 update is infected with a Trojan Horse. From all the testing that our team has done in investigating this, they have determined that it is a false positive result. Our team are working with AVG to get this corrected, so that the false positive report no longer comes up.

For security reasons we do recommend only downloading updates and programs through my.MYOB ( Australia | New Zealand ) or through download links provided by us or MYOB Partners. We do recommend avoiding downloading updates through third party sites as they may contain unwanted additions such as Trojans or viruses. If you have any concerns over the security of your system we do encourage speaking with your IT professional.

If you are experiencing issues with AVG identifying the AccountRight 2017.1 update as a Trojan, there are a couple of things you can do:

Download and install the AccountRight 2017.1.1 Server Edition, available through my.MYOB by logging in and going to My Products >> Downloads. As this is a slightly different installer to the PC edition we have had some reports that this has allowed users to install the update without the issues.

Alternatively, you would have to temporarily disable your AVG antivirus software while downloading and installing the latest update. Once the update has installed, then you will need to setup an exemption for the AccountRight files. This will let you operate without the false positive error report coming up. A full list of the folders and files that need to be exempted can be found on our help article, Speed and performance tips

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
10 REPLIES
Contributing Cover User heswinches
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Re: AVG Identifying AccountRight 2017.1 update as a Trojan

Any news?

We have been using AR 2017.1 since it was originally released. This morning AVG did an update and a trojan alert has been dislpayed.

Using AVG Build 16.131.7924

Cheers

Peter

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,073 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

HI Peter ( @heswinches )

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of useful information.

Thanks for all that information, at this stage we do not have any updates other than our team are still working with AVG on this to get it resolved. As soon as we have any information we will be sharing it upon this thread.

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Hi Niel

Do you suggest we just sit tight and wait?

Cheers

Peter

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,073 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi Peter ( @heswinches )

I’ve just been advised by our team that they have tried to get in touch with you on your cell directly over this issue, so you will see a couple of missed calls from us.

Our team have pinned down the cause of this and if you log into my.MYOB and go to My Products >> Downloads, and download the latest release of AccountRight 2017.1.1 you will be able to install the update on your computer.

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Neil

Yes, I am trying to speak to someone at present.

I tried to update by dowloading  the latest 2017.1.1 version but AVG stopped the dowload

Cheers

Peter  

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,073 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi Peter ( @heswinches )

If you are still experiencing issues while trying to download the latest Server Edition version, then the next step would be to disable AVG while the download and install is going on.

Once the download and install has happened then the next step would be to ensure that there is an exemption in place for AccountRight 2017.1 so that AVG does not scan the AccountRight 2017.1 folders and potentially throws up another false positive

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Hi Neil

MYOB support sent me a patch (that they thought would be a fix but it does not seem to have helped 

See below

8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Hi Neil

MYOB support sent me a patch (that they thought would be a fix but it does not seem to have helped 

See below

8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Neil

I removed the link and pm you

Cheers

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post