Forum Discussion

Julie_Cook
Partner
2 years ago

Payroll Adjustment

I incorrectly over paid a staff member by $ 374.60.  This was part of a bulk electronic payment.

The staff member repaid the difference of $ 374.60 to the bank.

I reversed the full gross amount of $ 704.52, and then reprocessed the payroll with the correct gross amount being $ 249.92.

As the amount had been paid back, there was no need to run another "actual " pay so I processed the $249.92 as a "cash" payment.  The problem that I have is that the $249.92 is sitting as an unmatched credit in my payroll cheque acct , and the $624.52 is in my "Electronic Payments" 

Ive attached an excel spreadsheet showing my workings.  Any help would be appreciated :)

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Julie_Cook 

Thanks for your post. When an employee returns the overpaid amount we do recommend processing a negative adjustment pay for the overpaid amount. That will correct the employee's pay history and the negative pay can be matched with the repayment in the bank account. The Help Article, Fixing a payroll overpayment or underpayment, has more information.

To resolve your situation, you've got:

1. the original pay transaction which has been included in the electronic payment transaction
    2. the reversal which is in the Prepare electronic payments window, tick the reversal and click on Bank file to record the electronic payment transaction. This will appear as a deposit in the Reconcile accounts window.
    3. the second pay transaction for $249.92 as a withdrawal in the Reconcile accounts window

Manually reconcile the reversal and second pay by ticking them in the Reconcile accounts window. The deposit of $624.52 minus the withdrawal of $249.92 leaves you with a deposit of $374.60 which matches the amount the employee repaid. If you use bank feeds you'll need to hide the bank feed transaction in the Bank feeds window.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Julie_Cook
      Partner

thanks Tracey, when I go to record the electronic transaction it says that I do not have bank details as I initially processed as cash, and I cant seem to undo?

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi Julie_Cook 

Are you getting the error There were no transactions to process in the Prepare electronic payments window? If you are, open the pay transaction and change the Payment method to Electronic. If you can't change the Payment method send me a screenshot of that pay transaction and the Prepare electronic payment error by private message.

If you're getting a different error can you send me a screenshot of the Prepare electronic payment window and the error.