Forum Discussion

Ravinder
Experienced User
2 years ago
Solved

Delete Asset account

Hi 

Could you please advise if I can delete the asset account (Motor vehicle)?  I used this asset account only once in the year 2019 to claim depreciation for the vehicle used for business purposes. I am not using this account for the last 3 years and have not made any transactions. Now, I have sold this personal vehicle to someone a few months back.

Later, I  purchased another vehicle and registered that under the company name.

Just wanted to clarify, can I delete that account (which is not used) from my Asset account list? how?

Thanks for helping in advance.

Kind Regards

Ravinder

• Hi Ravinder 

A personal vehicle generally doesn't/shouldn't appear on a business balance sheet. As suggested discuss this with your tax adviser or accountant - they will know more about your business and your balance sheet and can advise where any amounts should be transferred to. 

Regards

Gavin

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    The_Doc
    Ultimate Partner

Hi Ravinder 

Try deleting - MYOB will tell you whether you can - if you have journals/entries MYOB will not allow you to delete.

If this is the case it is best to simply make it inactive and renumber it into 'unused bucket at the bottom of liabilities - eg.

2-9000 ****** unused accounts

Just renumber.

You can try combining with another account - sometimes I have a unused bin and combine the old account with this bin (if there are no entries nothing gets combined but it might allow you to rid this old account) - but if you have jobs associated - deleting accounts is almost impossible.

I don't try anymore - because once you have turned on the flag with an entry into an account and then deleted this entry - MYOB often refuses to allow it to be deleted - most annoying - I just don't fight it anymore.

The Doc

Ravinder
      Experienced User

Hi Doc

Thanks for your prompt response.

Screenshot .jpgI tried to delete it, as it has a balance, but MYOB doesn't allow to delete due to a non-zero current balance (attached snapshot).

Even tried to renumber it but can't change the number also as it is created under the 'fixed assets' account. 

Is there any other option to fix this issue?

Kind Regards

Ravinder

Ravinder
        Experienced User

didn't get any reasonable reply.

Kind Regards

Ravinder