customer overpaid invoice twice

Experienced Cover User JMS2012
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia

customer overpaid invoice twice

Hi,

I have a customer who overpaid an invoice. I have allocated this as a receive sales payment against the invoice and the remaining balance has been held over as a credit on their account. They have now overpaid again and I want to show that payment as a credit balance on their account. I cannot receipt it to the same invoice as it does not have a balance and is not considered "closed" on the register.

I do not want to raise a credit note or sales invoice (we import these from a project management system) as this overpayment will eventually get allocated to genuine invoices in the future.

I need to show both payments as deposits in the bank on seperae days, and I need to be able to produce a statement for the customer to show the balance as it gets used up.

3 REPLIES
Partner BriarCarr
2 Posts
Partner
New Zealand

Re: customer overpaid invoice twice

Hi @JMS2012

Apply the first payment to the unpaid (open) invoice as you normally do and then record another customer payment and apply the second payment to the same invoice.

As this invoice is now paid (or closed), you'll need to select the Include Closed Sales option to see it (Make sure you note which invoice has been paid the first time so you can apply the second payment to the same invoice. 

1.jpg

A credit for the second payment will be automatically created.

2.jpg

Please see screen shot below to see what will happen the next time you go into receive payments for this client. 

3.jpg

This link also takes you step by step through this process:  http://help.myob.com/wiki/x/4YJs

Then when you go to print your statement it will show both payments on their seperate dates.

Experienced Cover User JMS2012
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia

Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately that does not work.... The first and only invoice for the customer is for $5,000. They paid $5,500. So I have allocated this overpayment to the invoice and it has credit a credit on their account as you demonstrated.

They have not paid $5,500 again, effectivey overpaying the same invoice twice. MYOB does not consider their invoice to be "closed" or to have an outstanding balancing, so I cannot allocate against their invoice.

The customer will eventually be invoiced again in the future, however I need to show them their current balance as well as record the payment on the bank register.

Raising a $0 invoice or a credit note cannot be done as we generate invoices through our project management software, and we don't want the customer to be given a credit note as it will appear as a discount in our sales ledger.

.....any other ways around this?

Partner BriarCarr
2 Posts
Partner
New Zealand

Hi @JMS2012

You just need to enter the $5,500 against the $5,000 invoice and it will create a credit of $500 for the customer, which you will be able to offset against a future invoice.

Have a look at the link Customers Overpayments , you will be following the steps for Did your customer overpay the invoice.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post