recon shows a duped check

Experienced Cover User MalP
58 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia

recon shows a duped check

Hi

I want to know why the form for reconciliation for mathew hands card shows duplicated check numbers. No warning message was received and I took it that the check numbers given, when paying the bills, were genuine. I have attached a screen grab which shows the duplicated numbers.

MalP

checks duplicated on mathews card.jpg
3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
19,227 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Re: recon shows a duped check

Hi @MalP

The cheque no. system in AccountRight does use an autonumber sequence where the next number in the sequence is taken from the last one recorded. For example if you record cheque number 116, the next number in the sequence would be 117, then 118 and so on. What can happen is that if a user changes the cheque number and records the transaction the cheque number sequence will update to that number and go forward using that number.

What I do recommend having enabled is Setup>>Preferences>>Banking>>Warn for Duplicate Cheque Numbers enabled. This will warn the user that a duplicate cheque number has been entered.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Experienced Cover User MalP
58 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia

HI Steven

I am familiar with what you mention, however the item you mention in Setup is checked and I have received warning messages before about duplicate check numbers. It appears to me that the warning is not being given when it should be and I need to know why this is so. I have not had this happen in other windows and it seems odd that it should happen. Perhaps you should check that this is acceptable in the window concerned.

MalP

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
19,227 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @MalP

I've done some further investigation for you and it does appear that the workflow in the Pay Bills window can not generate the duplicate cheque number warning message. If the user goes into the Pay Bills window, selects a card, enters in the Amount Applied and then enters an Amount before selecting to update the cheque number the warning will not appear.

Based on the information I have uncovered it does look like the team had lodged it just for Pay Liabilities with earlier versions, as such I have passed onto the team to indicate that the same thing does occur with Pay Bills windows.

Currently the workaround would be if you are going to change the cheque number on a transaction do so via changing the cheque number before amounts are entered on screen. This is to ensure that the warning message is generated, should it be needed.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post