Accessing old data file

Contributing User morehopeful
13 Posts
Contributing User
New Zealand

Accessing old data file

My current company file shows item History information of Sales & purchases by number only. I need to access the actual sale which according to the history screen happened in April 2010. The only old files I have are in a zipped file - how can i access this so i can upgrade to read only? 

4 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
18,807 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Re: Accessing old data file

Hi @morehopeful

Generally a zip file means that you have a backup of the company file and can go to File>>Restore from within AccountRight and select the required file and where to store it.

Once restored you would be able to access that company file by going to Open a Company file and navigating to the required file to open. I would recommend going to Setup>>Preferences>>Security tab and adding a lock period with the date of 31/12/9998 this will stop you from accidentally entering transactions into that restored file by mistake.

For more information into restoring company files please see Help Article: Restore your company file

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
18,807 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @morehopeful

How did you get on with that restore? Where you able to access the old information as required?

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Contributing User morehopeful
13 Posts
Contributing User
New Zealand

THe need to access the old data went away, but I have just tried what you recommended and it is asking me to send in the file to you for upgrade. I am happy to do this, but I need some assurance that this restored file will NOT replace our current live file and that I actually only want the restored file as a read only file accessed locally only, NOT online.

Cheers

A

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
18,807 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @morehopeful

When you go to select File>>Restore and select the required file to restore form AccountRight will prompt you to save the file. At this point you can change the name of the file and select which library to store it in - if you want to restore the file locally without updating another file change the company file name and ensure that the first option - "in a library on my computer or on my network" is selected. For example:

Attachments.PNG

Also if you attempt to restore a file with the same name in the same location it will give you a message asking you to change the file name or select a different location:

Attachments.PNG

Provided you read the onscreen information and ensure that you do change that company name when restoring I don't see a concern in restoring a file. However taking a backup of the current company file would be a good safety net if this is for your first restore.

Do let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post