Start a Post

PowerPoint backup

This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Highlighted
BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway
Solved: Go to Solution

PowerPoint backup

I had this situation today. I worked on my project in PowerPoint. The computer worked loud and probably overheated and turned off suddenly when the project has not been saved. I have configured the backup. but when I reopened PowerPoint, no backup files were offered. I don't know (and can't find) the extension that PowerPoint uses for it backup files.

Can anyone tell me how unsaved backups are stored (if at all) and what extension I should search for or how can I recover my file?

5 REPLIES
BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway

Re: PowerPoint backup

Guys, I hope for your advice!
karlolsen
4 Posts
User
Monaco

In Office 2003
1. Click "Tools" - "Options".
2. When the "Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "Save" tab.
3. Look “Underneath "Default file location

In Office 2007, 
Click the Office button (big button in the top left), Powerpoint Options -> Save -> default save location.

BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway

The file just points to the My Documents folder. There are actually no PowerPoint files there, since I use a PowerPoint subfolder to hold them. 

The file I am hoping to recover was not saved. I foolishly worked on it for a few hours, and never saved it. Does PowerPoint, like Word, have a built in backup save system? If yes, I'd like to know what extension the backup files use, so I can try to find them.

karlolsen
4 Posts
User
Monaco
Accepted Solution Solved Solution

It should still be a PowerPoint extension .ppt.  the name usually starts with a ~ character.  If the file becomes corrupted you can to do ppt recovery.  I'd try a tool as the PowerPoint Recovery Toolbox for example. http://www.oemailrecovery.com/powerpoint_recovery.html   

So it will be fast and easy. There is a free download version and you can try if this tool be able to recover your files.

See also: http://office-recovery.com/powerpoint.asp

BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway

You've been very kind in your efforts to help. Thanks for that. Solved!
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post