Start a Post

PowerPoint backup

BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway
Solved: Go to Solution

PowerPoint backup

I had this situation today. I worked on my project in PowerPoint. The computer worked loud and probably overheated and turned off suddenly when the project has not been saved. I have configured the backup. but when I reopened PowerPoint, no backup files were offered. I don't know (and can't find) the extension that PowerPoint uses for it backup files.

Can anyone tell me how unsaved backups are stored (if at all) and what extension I should search for or how can I recover my file?

5 REPLIES
BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway

Re: PowerPoint backup

Guys, I hope for your advice!
karlolsen
4 Posts
User
Monaco

In Office 2003
1. Click "Tools" - "Options".
2. When the "Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "Save" tab.
3. Look “Underneath "Default file location

In Office 2007, 
Click the Office button (big button in the top left), Powerpoint Options -> Save -> default save location.

BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway

The file just points to the My Documents folder. There are actually no PowerPoint files there, since I use a PowerPoint subfolder to hold them. 

The file I am hoping to recover was not saved. I foolishly worked on it for a few hours, and never saved it. Does PowerPoint, like Word, have a built in backup save system? If yes, I'd like to know what extension the backup files use, so I can try to find them.

karlolsen
4 Posts
User
Monaco
Accepted Solution Solved Solution

It should still be a PowerPoint extension .ppt.  the name usually starts with a ~ character.  If the file becomes corrupted you can to do ppt recovery.  I'd try a tool as the PowerPoint Recovery Toolbox for example. http://www.oemailrecovery.com/powerpoint_recovery.html   

So it will be fast and easy. There is a free download version and you can try if this tool be able to recover your files.

See also: http://office-recovery.com/powerpoint.asp

BjarniOddsson
4 Posts
User
Norway

You've been very kind in your efforts to help. Thanks for that. Solved!
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post