Highlighted
Contributing Cover User Peter9876
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Solved: Go to Solution

Cannot get access to my Offline file

Hello

I use 2016.1.1 and work offline. Some weeks ago I uploaded my company file to "online" so that my accountant had access to complete the 2015/2016 financials. Since then I have continued to work "offline", so that is my live system.

I had downloaded 2016.3 some time ago but never used it until this morning for the first time.

When I opened my company file it took me to "online" BUT myob then recognised that the "online" file was a 2016.1.1. version and wanted to update it. I cancelled out as that comapny file was my accountants version and not current.

However when I go back into 2016.1.1 it is only giving me an "online" access option.

I need to get to the "offline" version to access my cuurent details.

Any clues on how I can get to the "offline'"option.

Thanks

8 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
17,109 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Re: Cannot get access to my Offline file

Hi @Peter9876

There are two methods that clients use when they say "offline":

• There is the check out process which is where the company file has been online and you have selected the File>>Check out company file option. This moves the company file into an offline state so it can be used when you don't have an Internet Connection or just wish to use it offline
  • The file is stored in the local library - when the file is stored in the local library it can be accessed on that computer. This is bears no connection to an online file.

Without knowing what method you did use to open that offline file its a bit hard to determine the best outcome for yourself. However I would recommend checking the local library to see if you have your current company file in that location  - this can be checked via Open a Company File>>Local Library.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

Thanks Steven for the reply.

Not sure how the following happened and I need a bit more guidance please.

When I followed your instruction in (My Library) there was a file called:

C Pty Ltd myox    <==NOT sure where that came from

When selected it opened up in "offline" mode and this looks to be the correct file.

I then closed Account Right and opened it up again. When it opened there are two recently opened company files:

C Pty Ltd myox (My Library)

and P M Waters No 2 A/C pty Ltd 

When I select P M Waters... it automatically takes me to entering my email address to work online. Then when I proceed, because I am running 2016.1 it asks to upgrade to the latest version. I have done the upgrade to 2016.3 but I now find that P M Waters.... is the old version saved some time ago for my accountant. Not what I want.

I then started agian selecting C Pty Ltd myox, upgraded to 2016.3 and also upgraded the file when asked. However when I now try and upload that to be online then I am asked for another subscription as it is not the registered company name (P M Waters....). All confusing.

Can you advise how I can get "C Pty Ltd myox" renamed over to P M Waters No 2 A/C Pty Ltd, so that I can upload it when requested by my accountant and work offline the majority of the time.

Regards

Peter

I am not sure what to do at this stage as I am not confident P M Waters... is my current file so I cancel out.

Can you advise what to do to upgrade to the latest version and

Can I still proceed and upgrade and I presume P M Waters... will be upgradedcheck

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
17,109 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @Peter9876

Its great to hear that you have managed to find the required file in your local library.

To get the local file online you would be looking at restoring a backup of that company file in the cloud. This can be done via taking a backup of the local file i.e. the one you want in the cloud (File>>Backup). Once that backup has been completed you would restore that backed up file into the cloud (File>>Restore and select Online with AccountRight Live). This will restore that file online - replacing the existing file in the cloud.

Please note: Before running through this process do make sure that you have a backup of the company file in the cloud if required AND make sure that Company File IDs of the files involved match. This can be checked via opening the file and selecting Help>>About AccountRight.

For more information into taking and restoring a backup please see Help Article: About backing up and restoring company files

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

Hello Steven (again)

I have followed your instructions and I believe I now have:

C Pty Ltd

up in the cloud.

Is there a way I can rename this to:

P M Waters No 2 A/C Pty Ltd

my normal file name, so that my accountant can see it and recognise that it is mine (as opposed to a generic C Pty Ltd).

Also once done and I then work offline, which is my normal preference, will this download and replace the old out of date P M Waters..... in my computer?

Regards

Peter

+61 407 729 887

And also then get this

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
17,109 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @Peter9876

Fantastic that is great news

To change a file name in the cloud you would go to Setup>>Company Information and change the name in there. Once that has been changed do go to Help>>Confirm Company File - which can be done online. By confirming that file it should ensure that change sticks.

In terms of moving the file locally after your accountant has had access and do what they need to do your best option would be to take a backup of the online file and then restore it locally*. I would also recommend going to the Welcome Window Recently Opened Company Files list and right clicking on the file names that are there to select Remove from List. Once completed open the chosen file from the Open option. You would do this to ensure that the correct file is listed in the Recently Opened Company Files list and to prevent the accidentally use of the incorrect file.

*If you did want your accountant to have access you would just take a backup of the local file and restore that online again.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

Did as suggested and the company name showed as P M Waters No 2 A/C Pty Ltd which is correct and what I want the file to be. Then went to Help - Confirm Company as suggested. This worked OK.

But the name at the top toolbar still shows as C Pty Ltd.

Any clues? 

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
17,109 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @Peter9876

Have you closed down and reopened file the since confirming that file? In some cases the file does need to be reopened before that value has been changed.

If you are still seeing that old name, go to the Recently Opened Company File list, right click on the file and remove it. You will then go to Open a Company File>>Online>>Enter your AccountRight Live details and select the file. This process should refresh that value.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

Houston we have lift off.

Thanks Steven for all your help. The problem is resolved and I have the correct company file and name.

Many thanks.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post