This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing User
Cinda
Australia
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How to change payroll once it is recorded?

Hi there,

I processed our companies payroll yesterday. However one of our employee's was paid some hours that were owed, eg RDO or overtime. This was a communication error between myself and the employee. He simply wanted to know how many hours he had accrued, I thought he wanted them paid. So they were added into his normal payroll. I would like to reverse this whole transaction for him and do a new one minus the extra hours in question.

Is the best way to do this just to go into the Payroll Transaction Journal and reverse the payment then start again? Also as our pays are recoded to an ABA file for uploading to the bank will reversing the payment affect that as well?

I just want to be sure that his tax etc all balance out as they should have been had the miscommunication not occured.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Ultimate Partner
Julie_A_C
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: How to change payroll once it is recorded?

If you havent sent the ABA file off yet, then go into the electronic payment and delete it in MYOB. Delete the pay and reenter correctly and then go and make the ABA file again, overwriting the one already made.

When you upload the file to the bank, just check the figure is the new figure before authorising it.

Julie Carter AIPA, BBus(Acctg),
MYOB Professional Partner, Registered BAS Service Provider
Associate Member of Institute of Public Accountants
ph: 0417 927 654 email: accuratebooks7@gmail.com
Accurate Books Always (Servicing from Leederville to Pinjarra, Fremantle to Armadale WA)
Please use plain text.
Former Staff
Chris_Butler
New Zealand
0 Kudos

Hi Cinda,

As Mia suggested before we can establish what needs to happen to correct this error, we need to know exactly what has happened in 'The Real World' so far.

i.e.. Has the incorrect amount actually been remitted to the employees bank account?

If it has not, then as Mia suggested you can delete the grouped Electronic Payment Transaction from the bank register, then delete the incorrect pay, then re-run the pay and re-create the ABA file with the correct figures.

If it has been remitted, then you need to ask yourself 'What is going to happen to this extra amount paid?' Is it going to be refunded back by the employee? Or is it going to be forgotten and written off?'  If the amount has been paid then this will need to be established before a process for fixing the error can be worked out.

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
Cinda
Australia
0 Kudos

The ABA has been uploaded already, and the amount remitte to the employees bank account. The employee has agreed to transmitt the  extra money back onto our account. At which point I would like to adjust the records to reflect his normal pay, tax rate etc.

Please use plain text.
Former Staff
Chris_Butler
New Zealand
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Cinda,

That's great, that's the info we need!

So, when the money is returned to your bank account you will need to process a negative paychecks for this employee. This will have the effect of reducing all the YTD balances for Gross Wages/Salary, PAYG and any Super that might have accrued on the overpaid amount.

There is a fantastic support note on the Knowledge Base that details the process, this can be found here: http://myobaustralia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myobaustralia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9127

One key things to note here, that is that the correction amounts for PAYG, Super and leave accruals etc, will need to be calculated and entered manually when recording the transactions described in the above support note.

Have a look at this support note and let me know if you have any questions about the process

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
Cinda
Australia
0 Kudos

I just wanted to say thank you Cloud. I am very grateful for your help.

Your advice was nice and simple and you made it easy for my already fairly confused brain to comprehend.

Also the support note was the biggest help, especially with the screen shots. You have cleared up any doubt I had as to how to tackle what I thought was an insumountable issue.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.