This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Partner
Andy10
Australia

MYOB Account Right Live SOOOOO SLOW

I am sitting here almost in tears through sheer frustration at how SLOW Account Right Live is.  I have a fantastic fast internet connection, but am tearing my hair out with this version of MYOB.  It takes me three times as long to do a simple task.  Whilst it is all slow (Account Right Live), I have found working in inventory to be the absolute worst.  It can take me up to 5 minutes to add a single item to an autobuild (and yes I have timed it!).

I keep a number of client v19 files in dropbox and we can share the file and access together and whilst v19 is by far a superior product in terms of speed anyway, using dropbox does not slow it down at all.  I have never had any security or data loss problems with it at all.  I want to keep using v19 for all of my clients aand for them all to have the option to do this!

Can you please let us know what you are doing to fix this problem.  I just do not have the physical time to spend half an hour entering one autobuild...and my clients certainly don't want to pay me half an hour for something that should take 5 minutes at the most!

If you don't provide a solution for this soon, I am seriously going to suggest to two of my clients that they let me revert their files to v19 - at my own cost....I just cannot continue to work efficiently and I need to know if there is a solution!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
JasonHill
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: MYOB Account Right Live SOOOOO SLOW

Andy10,

Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry to read that you are frustrated.

MYOB spent 20 years optimising the speed and performance of the classic platform to make it as fast as our clients’ fingers, so we understand that for some tasks and processes the new AccountRight is not as fast as v19. However, we are confident that there are significant time savings and productivity gains available from online features such as bank feeds when using AccountRight Live.

Please be assured that improving the performance of the new AccountRight is the number one priority for our product development team. Since the release of AccountRight Live, the team releases regular product updates, and details about the next update will be posted in the coming days. 

In the meantime, I encourage you to work through the tips in the following Support Note - Speeding up your Computer for AccountRight. To maximise performance we also recommend to make sure you are running as few other programs as possible as some programs can take up significant resources and make other programs slower. Cutting down on the number of programs running simultaneously may provide a boost to AccountRight performance.

Am I also happy to arrange for one of our team to contact you to assist in optimising performance. Just let me know.

All the best,

Jason Hill
Community Manager

Want to recognise a useful post?
Click the star to give Kudos

Please use plain text.
Cover User
drc75
Australia

I feel your pain.  MYOB is so slow that it doesn't matter if you have all the minimum requirements and the fastest computer.  I do not even go into cloud as I don't have the time to waste.  I have told my clients do not upgrade!  Even my accountant hates the new MYOB.

We have been promised that this is it!!! The new version will save us so much time.  MYOB needs to pick up it's game or they won't have a clientel to service.  Every time I enter a purchase or sale I get not responding, until it catches up. 

Very disappointing and not cost effective at all. I guess all we can do is keep on hounding them to fix or move to another product.

Please use plain text.
Experienced Partner
jeanie
Australia

The problem with AccountRight Live performance is its underlying architecture. By opting to go down the fat client path with data stored remotely over the internet, MYOB are repeating the problems with implementing client server applications over a WAN that the industry grappled with almost 20 years ago! The solution that was then adopted as an alternative to re-architecting applications that had been developed for LANs was to implement terminal servers at data centres. What the industry has done since learning better has been to develop web based applications with the browser doing  little more than presentation and the application logic and data layers hosted together at the back end. If it's true that MYOB have spent $97 Million in the last few years on development then perhaps spending a small percentage of that at the beginning dev cycle and coming up with the right architecture would have yielded better results.

Craig Steddy

Please use plain text.
Experienced Partner
jeanie
Australia

For most users it really has very little to do with PC performance. Sure 19.x to AccountRight 201x (not live) pushed up the real memory requirements for the running PC but it was REALLY slow because it introduced a fat SQL server layer into the mix and resulted in many more disk accesses to perform the same function as in 19.x. Only putting the data on an SSD made it usable (something that we ended up doing). However, the real issue for AccountRight Live is the internet performance and not the bandwidth (which for most people can be fixed by upgrading); it's the latency. 

Please use plain text.
Experienced User
chiller
Australia

Hi Craig

I'd be interested to hear (in laymans terms) your views on the future for the current version of AR Live. MYOB keep trotting out the line that they're constantly improving speed (which is true in very small increments) but in a real life business situation it is woefully inadequate. I think many people are sticking with it hoping they overcome this in the near future but I'm sure most would like some idea on a time line for major improvements.  If it turns out MYOB are flogging a dead horse with this version then I'm sure their customers would like to know sooner rather than later so they can get on with the process of finding alternative software.

Regards

Noel
Please use plain text.
Experienced Partner
jeanie
Australia

Hi Noel,

The old (19.x) MYOB software platform was extremely efficient, partly due to the fact that it hadn't changed from when it was first written to run when PC processors were slow, memory was limited and expensive and disk were a lot slower and sizes were measured in Megabytes not Gigabytes. To a greater or lesser extent MYOB's install base was still happily running on 10+ year old PCs. This was something that MYOB should have known or troubled themselves to find out before they started the development for the new MYOB (201x) software.

The first problem is with Account Right 201x running with a local file. This is solvable (albeit at some incovenience and cost to the MYOB user). Users can buy a new PC (I'd recommend nothing less than an i7 processor, 8 Gb of RAM and definitely a SSD (Solid State Drive) for your disk. Also MYOB are making incremental improvements to performance.

The second problem is with AccountRight 201x LIVE.  The issue with magnitude slower performance of LIVE versus local is one of design. Their marketing might call this MYOB in the cloud but it's not. It is NOTHING like a service like Salesforce or Xero or SAASU. You can run any of them on a 10 year old PC because you are just using the browser. By opting to still have you install their application on your PC they have really designed poor performance into their new platform. (From a previous quick look I think that QuickBooks have done exactly the same).

Firstly, I'd recommend that anyone on AccountRight 19.x stay on it. It seems that MYOB are going to keep on supporting this (at least in maintenance mode) for the forseeable future. The recent corporate narrative is that this was always their intention and that AccountRight 201x is and was only meant for some clients ;-) 

I think that it's still fair to say that MYOB still offers more functionality that Xero or SAASU. Also people don't want to change what they know and I fully understand that.  The small company that I do work for are a case in point.

I assume that MYOB know that they have made a fundamental design error with AccountRight (LIVE especially). That is why 19.x is still being supported. MYOB have stated that they will not provide a tool for people to rollback to 19.x (and I can understand why), but I really think that they need to provide some detail and a timeframe for resolution so that users and partners (especially those already on AccountRight) can be convinced that MYOB: 

(1) Understand the technical nature of the problem

(2) Understand the depth of user pain and dissatisfaction

(3) Have a timetable for resolution

Cheers,

Craig

ps: and if another of my threads/posts on performance gets deleted they should know that I will be really mad

Please use plain text.
Experienced User
chiller
Australia

Thanks for that detailed reply Craig. MYOB staff have been doing a great job of hiding deficiencies in AR Live 201x ever since it was rushed (prematurely?) onto the market. They keep telling us it may be slower in some areas compared to V19.x but the many new features make up for this. Surely an acceptable speed for basic data entry should be a fundamental requirement of accounting software and should be one of the main priorities.

Anyway I'll keep persevering with MYOB for the time being with most of my clients on V19.x & a couple on V201X that requested the upgrade. I've always loved the software but I'm definitely going to have a close look at the opposition - probably Xero & Quickbooks Online. I'd be interested to hear other views/experiences on these (not sure if MYOB will allow it on this forum but it's worth a try)

Regards

Noel
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
JasonHill
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Many thanks for your comments. We welcome all feedback on the Community Forum, whether positive or negative, and share your feedback with our product development team when appropriate so we can improve our products. The latest update for AccountRight released yesterday is an example of how our team is improving our software based on feedback from Partners and clients.

I also wanted to also post a reminder that the MYOB Community Forum is a place for discussion and assistance with MYOB products and services only.

All the best,

Jason Hill
Community Manager

Want to recognise a useful post?
Click the star to give Kudos

Please use plain text.