This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing User
RMSTL-IT
East Timor
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

MYOB Crashing

Hi Guys,

I'd highly appreciate if you could share with me the solution for our MYOB crashing issue which I'm about to describe.

We have MYOB Premier V11.  This is only happening to 1 of 5 computers running MYOB; Windows APPCRASH and MYOB Terminate.  All computers uses the NETBEUI protocol.  All computers are running on Windows 7.

Diagnostic procedure was performed on the computer having the issue; what better diagnostic but the TEST OF FIRE.

The night before the prodecure was performed, MYOB Verification and Optimization were performed on the company file.  No errors found during verifications and optimization.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE PROPER

Virtual Memory settings were changed; Paging file sizes were set to manual.

System Managed Size

Manual /Custom Size

C: (SYSTEM)

Manual /Custom Size

G: (DATA)

Minimum Allowed:

16 MB

Initial Size:

2965 MB

Initial Size

2965 MB

Recommended:

2965 MB

Maximum Size:

3840 MB

Maximum Size:

3840 MB

Currently Allocated:

1977 MB

Currently Allocated:

5930 MB

Currently Allocated:

5930 MB

All the tasks listed hereunder were performed simultaneously.

1.       Most, if not all, software application installed on the unit were launched to see if the APPCRASH Windows error would be triggered.

2.       The  company file was opened on MYOB Premier V11.

3.       13.5GB worth of files were copied to test network stability.

CPU Utilization: 85%-91% Maximum Frequency

NETWORK Utilization: 97%-100% Network Utilization

DISK Utilization: 53%-70% Highest Activity

MEMORY Utilization: 67%-85% Used Physical Memory

The diagnostic procedure laid out above was performed repeatedly for more than 5 hours.         

The tests/diagnostic performed yielded POSITIVE RESULT; MYOB DID NOT CRASH.

But the following morning, the MYOB user reported that MYOB crashed again.

I'm already running out of the idea.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

Diagnostic Performed [20110227].jpg
Please use plain text.
Ultimate Partner
Clive
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: MYOB Crashing

Hi Gene,

Premier 11 is not certified by MYOB as being compatible with Win7 although I use the program in single user mode on my Win 7 computer with no problems.  I suggest that you try using TCP/IP as the protocol instead of NETBUI.

Regards

Clive Williams

MYOB Certified Consultant & Accredited Trainer; Ostendo Consulting Partner
Cert IV Financial Services (Bookkeeping); Cert IV Training & Assessment; BAS Agent 92620 006
Providing on-site MYOB support in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury
Remote support available for MYOB throughout Australia
Mobile: 0418.657.833 AH (02) 4754.4151
email: clive@crwservices.com.au website: www.crwservices.com.au
Please use plain text.
Contributing User
RMSTL-IT
East Timor
0 Kudos

Hi Clive,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I already though of that; switching all computers running MYOB Premier V11 from NETBEUI to the TCP/IP protocol. But I hesitated when I saw this post.

"Issue was resolved by changing the Multiple User file access protocol from NetBIOS/NetBEUI to TCP/IP. We keep getting the same error code. We moved our MYOB file to a larger server and it's been crashing regularly. We changed it to TCIP, but it was worse, so we changed it back to NetBios."- http://www.accountingsoftware411.com/Community/ShowThread.aspx?threadid=1058

As for the Windows 7 compatibility, I'm already aware that MYOB Premier V11 was not included to thos MYOB products released last March 2010 which are certified Windows 7 compatible.- http://www.pacificlanworks.com/news/major-myob-products-compatible-with-windows-7-725.html  - But thanks for bringing this up.

The weird thing is MYOB crashes on this one computer only. Whereas, the other computers which are also running Windows 7 are not having this issue. This was in spite of the unit having been subjected to the TEST OF FIRE as I described in my previous post.

Here's what I plan to do but I'm not pretty sure if it will earn merit.

1. Deactivate the ID of the MYOB user having this issue and create another one in its place. - Discussion in the MYOB Community Group revealed that Windows Application Crashing “APPCRASH” for MYOB could also be attributed to user permission- http://community.myob.com/t5/General/Crash-on-Bank-Register-entry/td-p/26477

2. Modify the MYOB ODBC Setting; lowering the Retry Wait Time from 120 seconds to 15 seconds.  - Retry Wait Time is the number in seconds and in fewer than six numerals, how long the ODBC Driver Manager waits before making connection retries to a database server. - Start-->All Programs-->MYOB ODBC Direct V7-->ODBC Data Sources (32bit) HELP.

I will post the result tomorrow after observing the behavior of MYOB.

Cheers!

Gene

Please use plain text.
Experienced Cover User
David_Grugeon
Australia
0 Kudos

It seems to me you have pretty well eliminated a computer issue.  Does this rogue computer always have the same user?  Could ypu try getting that user to swap machines with another user for a day.  If it now fails for the user on the different computer you have either a user issue or a roaming profile issue.  If it fails for the new user on the old machine you definitely have a machine issue.

If it is a user/roaming profile issue then try removing the profile and starting a new one for that user.  If that does not work, sit next to the user and watch the machine crash.  It has to be something the user does.

One machine thing I don't think you mentioned was deleting the contents of the windows/temp directory.  That can sometimes cure obscure bugs.

David Grugeon
Grugeon Consulting
Brisbane
Please use plain text.
Contributing User
RMSTL-IT
East Timor
0 Kudos

Hi  David,

MYOB is still CRASHING.... Windows APPCRASH

Myobp.exe has stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Myobp.exe
  Application Version:    11.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    4696dcd1
  Fault Module Name:    netbios.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7600.16385
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4a5bc90f
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000023c1
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Apparently, swapping machines of MYOB users did not resolve the issue.

Note: I may have forgotten to mention, but the computer having this issue came from a fresh reformat/reinstall.

In my previous post, i subjected the machine to the TEST OF FIRE.  But this is just a single MYOB user using the company file.  Would it make any difference if I perform the same diagnostic procedure again?  But this time leaving 2 other computers logged on to MYOB?

Sigh....

Gene

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
RMSTL-IT
East Timor
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Here I am again.

As I stated on the post before this one, i'd subject the machine again to the TEST OF FIRE with multiple users logged on to MYOB Premier V11 with a common company file opened.  And I did.  But before I did this, I installed a PCI Fast Ethernet card leaving the on-board network controller disabled, hoping that if it's an NIC issue, that this step would resolve it.

But sigh... MYOB is still crashing.

The weird part is the TEST OF FIRE was done on a Sunday and MYOB didn't crash. 

But on a Monday, when all staffs had their computers up and running, MYOB crashed.  A network issue? Perhaps... Need to do more tweaking.

Gene

Please use plain text.
Ultimate Partner
Clive
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Gene,

Have you checked the preferences for the user that normally operates the computer in question - in particular the first preference in the System tab to automatically refresh lists when information changes.  This preference is per user and can cause problems with large datafiles.  MYOB is very data intensive and when you have that option on there is an added load.  I assume that Premier is loaded on the client computer and runs from there, accessing the datafile on the server.  V11 of Premier normally only runs on one core of a multi-core processer, so you could check if that is happening.  If the MYOB current financial year ended a while ago you could have problems with reporting as MYOB does not use indexing on reports in future years and that can cause major speed issues.

Regards

Clive Williams

MYOB Certified Consultant & Accredited Trainer; Ostendo Consulting Partner
Cert IV Financial Services (Bookkeeping); Cert IV Training & Assessment; BAS Agent 92620 006
Providing on-site MYOB support in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury
Remote support available for MYOB throughout Australia
Mobile: 0418.657.833 AH (02) 4754.4151
email: clive@crwservices.com.au website: www.crwservices.com.au
Please use plain text.
Contributing User
RMSTL-IT
East Timor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I believe we have resolved the issue of MYOB crashing on our end.

Retermination of the existing data cable was performed and was plugged onto another port on the network switch.  However, this did not resolve the issue. 

Finally, a new data cable segment was laid out to connect the user's computer to the network.  Since then, we have minimized the issue to a single crash in a day; Windows APPCRASH.  It appears that the integrity for network connectivity of the old data cable segment has been compromised.  In addition, there's no longer a need for all MYOB users to logout from MYOB when a crash occurs on this user's computer.  We suspect that the minimal MYOB crash we're having right now can be attributed to network congestion.

So that's it! It's a network issue.

Thank you for all those who contributed their ideas.  It was a big help in the isolation/troubleshooting we did to resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Gene

Please use plain text.
User
KT_PBA
Australia
0 Kudos

I have upgraded to MYOB account right...I have entered all my data (for the last financial year) and everytime I try to run reports the system crashes on me....it says Huxford (or something like that) has encountered problems and then hangs or boots me out of the system all together..PLEASE HELP!!!...I'm starting to run out of patience with this program now and think I might transfer to another program!!

Your help is appreciated..

Cheers

Katrina

Please use plain text.
MYOB Moderator
Barry_C
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Katrina,

I can see from your record that you are on AccountRight Basics.  We have released Service Pack 1 in the middle of December last year that resolved allot of errors including some reports crashing.

I would recommend downloading and installing the latest AccountRight Basics with Service Pack 2 that was just released today.  I have sent you a Private Message with a link to download the latest version.

Let me know if you have any problems after upgrading.

Kind Regards

Barry
MYOB Client Support

Want to recognise a useful post?
Click the star to give Kudos

Please use plain text.