Start a Post

Perpetual Inventory to Periodical

SandyM1553
2 Posts
Cover User
Australia

Perpetual Inventory to Periodical

I am trying to change our Inventory over from Perpetual to Periodical.

I have set up the correct accounts, and have allocated I buy this item and I sell this item but when I un-click the I Inventory this item box it wont allow me. The message I receive is I have Journal entries on file.

Can you please advise how I can fix this problem. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
3,655 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Re: Perpetual Inventory to Periodical

HI @SandyM1553

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of useful information.

Due to how AccountRight handles the different inventory calculation methods, if there are journal entries or transactions against that item you will not be able to switch inventory methods.

The best way to resolve this would be to create new inventory items for the different items you are wanting to move onto a periodic inventory system. To do this you will need to mark the old perpetual inventory items as inactive and you may also want to change the item number to free it up for the new item.

Do let us know how you get on with this,

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
SandyM1553
2 Posts
Cover User
Australia

Hi Neil_M,  

Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is, we are a Manufacturer of Aluminium Products.

Our main product uses different size lengths of Aluminuium Bar.

We buy the Bar (Raw Material) in by the Kilo, but we count and stock the items as Bars.

Does MYOB have a different "Add On" programme that we could use to handle this or do you have another idea I could try.

Thanks

Sandy

Ultimate Partner Mike_James
3,220 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand

Hi @SandyM1553, @Neil_M, if I may add some comments here - it is possible to continue with the perpetual inventory method for  bars purchased in kgs, but stocked in lengths.

For example, use one item code for the purchased item, and a number of other item codes for each length of bar. These items would have an auto-build definition, eg for 10 lengths of a 200mm bar, the quantity required of the purchased material would be 0.50 (kgs), or whatever it actually is.

Then as these lengths are made and put into stock, record the quantities and prepare an autobuild transaction in MYOB, which will deduct the KG quantity of the purchased material, and add the quantities of cut lengths.

The item codes of the cut to length bars would then be used in the autobuild definitions of the final products.

Regards Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise Report Writer - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(Including AccountRight Classic/Live, and exo Payroll)
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post