This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Super Partner
Tazter
0 Kudos

Windows 8 RP (Release Preview) and AR2011

[ Edited ]

AR2011 products (MYOB AccountRight Plus 2011, MYOB AccountRight Standard 2011 and MYOB AccountRight Basics 2011) have not been certified to run on the Windows 8 RP (Release Preview) Operating System.

It has been brought to MYOB's attention that issues exist when those AR2011 products are installed on the Windows 8 RP (Release Preview) Operating System.

Please do not migrate your existing AR2011 applications to the Windows 8 Operating System platform until MYOB has suitably certifed that they can run on that platform.

Footnote:  (Added  18/6/2012 9.50am)

1. AR2011 products are the only MYOB Software Products that will install and run on Windows 8 RP
  2. Legacy software (pre AR2011) will not run on Windows 8 RP as  the 'Termination Code: 1100' will occur
  3. Upgrades of legacy software to AR2011 cannot be performed on Windows 8 RP as the 'Termination Code: 1100' will also occur.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Tony Lane - Ulverstone - Tasmania
Please use plain text.
Experienced Partner RPD
Experienced Partner
RPD
Australia

Re: Windows 8 RP (Release Preview) and AR2011

I agree Tony.

I'm still waiting for them to run properly on Windows 7.

Raoul Dunk

www.rpdunk.com.au

Salisbury CA
Please use plain text.
Experienced Partner
MedIT
Australia
0 Kudos

I tried MYOB AR Plus v19.6 on a Server 2012 RC instance and had the same error message  (termination error 1100).

Will MYOB support the older AR products on Windows 8 / Server 2012?  I know several accounting practices that run terminal services and have the various versions of MYOB installed on there to work on client files.  That's going to be more difficult if AR 19.6 isn't compatible with Windows 8 after being made generally available for purchase - virtualising a second terminal server running 2008 R2 (which is x64 only) and using remote app publishing would be the workaround that first comes to mind.

I appreciate that MYOB is understandably focussed on their new software, but with many business reluctant to upgrade MYOB versions (some are still running Premier v12.5!) it would be nice to know if either MYOB or Microsoft have a compatibility shim or an update available to fix the old releases.  As a developer I'm surprised that MYOB fails on Windows 8 - the desktop environment is very similar to Win 7 architecturally after all.  If there was a developer blog at MYOB I'd love to see the problem diagnosed and resolved similar to how other software companies blog about such things.

Ian Yates
Medical IT Pty Ltd
www.medicalit.com.au
Please use plain text.
Trusted Partner
Rael
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Given that the multi-user versions of MYOB are not yet released in the AR2011 "flavour" and are unlikely to be released prior to the launch of Windows 8, you'd hope there'd be some update released by MYOB to the 19.6 range. Telling it's larger Premier and Premier Enterprise clients that they are unable to purchase new computers with Win 8 is a little unreasonable.

From memory though, it took a while after the release of Windows 7 before Retail Manager was compatible.

Rael
Please use plain text.
Valued Partner
easybusiness
New Zealand
0 Kudos

I doubt that they would put resources into making fixes for the v19 products to make them compatible with Windows 8. Pulling developers away from their main tasks of getting the new AccountRight working and to get the Live version working would push back release dates especially since they would need to do updates to multiple products for Australia and New Zealand.

Also it would be another reason to get people to upgrade to the latest versions.

Graeme Muir

EasyBusiness Consulting- Making the bookwork simple
Helping you with MYOB setup and installation in Christchurch

To chat about your training and support needs in the Christchurch area call us on 0800 160 260.
Please use plain text.
Experienced Partner
MedIT
Australia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A few points

1. Key features from the v19 family of products still aren't available in 2011 products.  Multi-user is a big one as Rael already pointed out, but even M-Powered isn't in the new product yet.  That's something we ourselves use here and is a complete show stopper to even consider upgrading.

2. Accounting firms often the latest plus one or two back versions of MYOB installed.  This is so they can open a client's file, make entries and possibly send the file back to the client.  It's not a problem yet since Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 isn't out for general use, but starting next year there would be a few firms that would like to upgrade Windows or may be getting new servers or workstations and end up with Windows 8 (planned or not).

3. Many reports are still missing in the new product from what I've read on this site.  Some of the workarounds for the missing reports are ludicrous.  I saw one where, to compare this year vs last year you would need to print the report now, then restore last year's data, then print the report again.  The old product could do it in one report.  <rant>If an open (just for reading) SQL database was in use then at least the developer community could step in and provide additional reporting functionality rather than relying on the imcomplete, and sometimes difficult to match, data exposed via the ODBC driver</rant>

I'm still interested in understanding just what funky system calls are being done that make MYOB crash on Windows 8.  I can understand the transition from XP to Vista for some bits of software (although most well written software that was just simple data entry shouldn't have had any trouble) but WIndows 7 & 8, if you ignore Metro, are pretty similar.  The developer in me is curious :smileyhappy:   That's not to pick on MYOB, but to learn from an app compat issue since if MYOB v19 has run afoul of some change then there's bound to be other software out in the wild that will also be bitten by a change of behaviour in the new Windows.

Ian Yates
Medical IT Pty Ltd
www.medicalit.com.au
Please use plain text.
Valued Partner
easybusiness
New Zealand
0 Kudos

I am sure they are very creative with their system calls.

Graeme Muir

EasyBusiness Consulting- Making the bookwork simple
Helping you with MYOB setup and installation in Christchurch

To chat about your training and support needs in the Christchurch area call us on 0800 160 260.
Please use plain text.
User
rturner2
Australia
0 Kudos

@MedIT...

"I'm still interested in understanding just what funky system calls are being done that make MYOB crash on Windows 8.  I can understand the transition from XP to Vista for some bits of software (although most well written software that was just simple data entry shouldn't have had any trouble) but WIndows 7 & 8, if you ignore Metro, are pretty similar."

- I agree!!??! I'm keen to know why aswell.

Please use plain text.
User
Charissa
New Zealand
0 Kudos

Hi I have the official version of 8 (thanks to a liscencing agreement with schools) however when I go to use AR (trial version of v19) it's freezing on the create a document screen. 

Charissa

Please use plain text.
Trusted Partner
Rael
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Charissa,

I am led to believe that a update will be released around the same time as the official launch of Windows 8 which should ensure compatibility.

Rael
Please use plain text.