AccountEdge Pro v14 and v15.5 - cannot open company file

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User GCL
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Solved: Go to Solution

AccountEdge Pro v14 and v15.5 - cannot open company file

After upgrading Macos to 10.12.6 AccountEdge v14 started to quit unexpectedly when making a backup.

Subsequently I rebuild my macbook from a Timemachine backup and started having problems even opening company files. (AccountEdge Pro v14 Release 19.1.28, Macos 10.12.6). I was able to open one file and make edits, but could not make a backup and now cannot reopen that file. Or any of my other company files. I regularly clean up the .flk files but that does not help. The error occurs when I hit Return after I am prompted for a user id and password. None of my files have a password.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 09.00.14.png

So I upgraded to v15.5 hoping that might resolve the problem but it persists. (AccountEdge Pro v15.5, macos as above).

Interestingly in both versions I can open the Clearwater sample company file, and I can optimise the company files which I cannot open. 

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

4 REPLIES
Ultimate User gavin12345
1,530 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia

Re: AccountEdge Pro v14 and v15.5 - cannot open company file

Hi @GCL

Sounds like a permission issue - can I suggest you copy the .myo file to the desktop (there should not be any permission issues on the desktop) and try to open there. If that works, you will need to check you have read and write permission in the location where the conmpany file is stored.  Another possible cause is a long file name, AccountEdge cannot open files with a long filename - if long, change to shorter name and try again.

Regards

Gavin

6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

Hello Gavin,

Thank you but no luck.

I don't think it can be a filename-length issue as the  company files used work before the macos upgrade and their names are unchanged.

Neither do I think it is a simple permissions issue as a copy of an upgraded file in the Documents/AccountEdge Pro v15.5 AU directory does not open while the Clearwater.myo file in the same directory does open.

I tried copying a file to the Desktop as you suggested and there the sequence was 1. I try to open the file 2. AE->Enter user id and password (I respond with Rtn as there are none), 3. AE->Confirm company file online 4. AE->Enter user id and password (I respond with Rtn as there are none) 5. AE->Unable to open the lock file...

I checked the permissions on both company files (mine and Clearwater) and I have read+write on both, and the same on the .flk files which are created when opening Clearwater or trying to open my file.

Regards,

Geoff

6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Accepted Solution Solved Solution

An update on this problem.

Using both the v14 and v15.5 software I created brand new company files but trying to open them gives the same "Unable to open the lock file ..." error.

6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

A solution to this problem, which still occurred after updating to AccounEdge v16.5.

MYOB telephone support sent a link to an article about disabling Trend antivirus scans on the .flk lock files created when a company file is opened. Trend, Scans, Scan Preferences, Change Settings, Files Not Scanned, Files. They suggested adding the names of the lock files to the list of files not scanned, but that did not work for me. In the File Types tab I added the file type flk and that did work, enabling me to open my company files.

So the real problem in my case was Trend Antivirus software, not AccountEdge.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 08.30.43.png

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post