This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing User
PhilippaS
Australia
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

AccountEdge backup file not saving

Hi,

I am using MYOB AccountEdge V11 and all of a sudden my backup files aren't saving.  I go to backup, select backup all data & to a disk.  Have also tried selecting Backup company file only, but no change.

A window appears asking where to save to.  I am backing up to a remote HDD.  I select the folder and click save.

The window disappears and nothing further happens.  No backup file exists in the folder I selected.

Has been working perfectly prior to now.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
PhilippaS
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: AccountEdge backup file not saving

It appears that the whole backup function is not running.  When I exit the MYOB file, it tells me that the last backup I did was xx days ago (doesn't mention there being a backup done today).

Thanks, Philippa

Please use plain text.
MYOB Moderator
AnnaRidley
Australia

Hi Philippa, 

Rather than backing up directly to an external hard drive, back up to your desktop first.

You can then manually copy the backup from your desktop to the external hard drive.

Kind Regards,

Anna
MYOB Client Support

Accept as SolutionGot an answer that solves your issue?
Mark it as an Accepted Solution

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
PhilippaS
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the suggestion, although still no luck.  No backup file saves to my desktop.  The backup process doesn't appear to run at all.

Thanks, Philippa

Please use plain text.
MYOB Moderator
Will_H
New Zealand

Hi PhilippaS,

Can you confirm if you can backup  your file using the option:
File menu > Backup
At the screen where you can choose to "Back up all Data" or "Backup Company File Only"
Please try choosing the option "Backup Company File Only"

Then choose the desktop as the place to backup to, again as a test location, the desktop lets us know that you definitely have the correct permissions.

If you can backup the company file only, but not all data, this means there is a corrupt file in one of your other folders that are normally backed up as part of an all files backup, most commonly this is an issue with a customised form that has become corrupt.

Kind regards,

Will
MYOB Client Support

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
PhilippaS
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Will,

Thanks for your comment.  Still no luck.  The window pops up to select "Backup Company File Only", I select this and next.  Second window pops up to ask where to save to.  I select the desktop and OK.

Then it just reverts back to my home MYOB screen.  No backup appears to run at all.

Any ideas on how I find the corrupt file?

Thanks,

Philippa

Please use plain text.
MYOB Moderator
Liam_M
Australia

Hello Philippa,

Please go into finder and open applications. Here right click on the AccountEdge 11 folder and click get info. Down the bottom you should see a section for permissions and sharing. Make sure all users have read and write access.

If it still fails to backup after this, go into the AccountEdge folder in applications and drag the forms and baslink folders to the desktop. Also copy your company file to the desktop if saved in here. Then drag the entire AccountEdge Folder to trash. Drag any shortcuts you have for AccountEdge to trash. Next reinstall AccountEdge.

After reinstalling you can make a desktop shortcut by going into finder, opening applications and then opening the AccountEdge 11 folder. Here right click on the AccountEdge application and click 'make alias.' Drag this alias to the desktop. Don't drag the program itself to the desktop. After this you should be able to backup as normal.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
PhilippaS
Australia
0 Kudos

Liam,

I have followed the steps you recommended.  After reinstalling Account Edge, I tried to open the same company file (now saved on my desktop) and was given an error message "The file you have chosen is not an AccountEdge company file".  The only option is to click OK.  It then goes back to the Welcome to AccountEdge screen.

Any further ideas?

Thank You,

Philippa

Please use plain text.
Contributing User
PhilippaS
Australia
0 Kudos

OK, figured that one out.  I now know when you drag a file it becomes an alias and not a copy (still getting used to the Mac).

After reinstalling MYOB AccountEdge, I have restored all MYOB company files from a time machine backup so now have each of my company files.  

Two out of my four company files backup ok.  The two that don't, won't backup when selecting backup all data or backup company file only.  Doesn't seem to matter where I select to save the back up to - no backup.

Please help...

Thank You.

Please use plain text.
MYOB Moderator
Liam_M
Australia

Hello PhillippaS,

Do you have any special characters in the filenames of the files that won't backup? What are the exact filenames? Are you trying to save the backup in the exact same location as the other files?

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support

Please use plain text.