Linking domain name for emails

This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Highlighted
Contributing User Thor
9 Posts
Contributing User
New Zealand
Thor
Contributing User

9Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Linking domain name for emails

Hi...Im trying to link a domain name from another company so I can link the emai as with my Atlas domain name.  When I go through the process I get to where you have to tick linking for email or website or both.  I get the message already linked and cant go any further.  The website is linked and works fine but I cant get the email working.  The one from Atlas works fine.

Can anyone help.  Or can I get the domain transfered to Atlas

thanks

4 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Liam_M
MYOB Moderator

3488Posts

1326Kudos

529Solutions

Re: Linking domain name for emails

Hello @Thor

Linking a third-party domain to your MYOB Atlas website is a two step process. The first step is to tell MYOB Atlas to expect traffic from the domain. The second is to tell the domain host to send traffic from the domain to MYOB Atlas. If the domain is working for the website, then most of this is done. If the domain wasn't initially setup to allow emails addresses to be setup, then your domain host just needs to make the following changes to your domains DNS settings:

Host: @
Record type: MX
Value: 5 mx01.myob.net. and 5 mx02.myob.net. (including the full stops)

Regardless of whether or not this has been done though, if the domain is listed as linked through your Atlas website, then it should be available to be selected for email addresses (it's just that those addresses won't work until your provider has made the above changes). If it isn't available, then we'll need to look into it from our end to determine why. Can you please let us know your domain names so that we can look into this for you.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
Contributing User Thor
9 Posts
Contributing User
New Zealand
Thor
Contributing User

9Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Thanks for that Liam....I will try that shortly when I have time.

I have now switched to using an alius with outlook.com with the original email I set up with Atlas.  Unfortunately When I send an email it arrives with the correct address and on behalf of outlook.  Apparantly to remove this I have to have the correct setup for outgoing mail and incoming mail as in POP.... and SMTP....as below page from outlook.  Can you please assist with giving me correct server information.

Sorry, we couldn't find the right settings for your account. Please review the information below and try again.
You can use Outlook.com to send and receive email from other accounts. To get started, enter your account info below.
Account info
Enter an email address and your name. The name you enter will be used when you send an email from this account.
Name
Email address
Incoming (POP3) server information
Specify POP3 server information your email provider has given you.
Server addressPort

Requires a secure connection (SSL)
Leave a copy of messages on the server
Username
Password
Outgoing (SMTP) server information
Specify SMTP server information your email provider has given you.
Send email using Outlook.com's server (recipient may see your Outlook.com address) Learn more
Send email using your provider's server (recipient will not see your Outlook.com address)
Server addressPort

Requires a secure connection (SSL/TLS)
Use the same username and password to send and receive email

Thanks and as soon as I get this email running OK.  I will look into the original query

MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Liam_M
MYOB Moderator

3488Posts

1326Kudos

529Solutions

Hello @Thor

MYOB Atlas allows you to create email forwarding addresses. These aren't full email accounts and thus have some limitations. An email forwarding address will automatically forward on any emails received to the address you nominate.

Because there is no actual email account, there is no POP or SMTP information for you to enter. It isn't possible to send directly from an email forwarding address. When sending email it is possible to change the sender address so that the email appears to come from another address. This is the only way your emails can appear to be sent from your email forwarding address. Unfortunately, since this technique can be used for to make malicious emails seem legitimate, many email providers don't allow you to change the sender address any more, without proving that you own the email account that you're trying to send from. The information you've provided from Outlook.com indicates that they don't allow you to do this.

To send an email that appears to come from your email forwarding address, you would need to use an email provider that allows  you to change the sender address when sending emails.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
Contributing User Thor
9 Posts
Contributing User
New Zealand
Thor
Contributing User

9Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions