This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
User
Australia
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Allocating interest and RWT payments

Hi, 

On my ANZ bank statement, I get an entry every month regarding interest earned on my savings account:

E.g.: 

Credit interest paid  $48.08 (deposit)

Resident Withod Tax on interest paid   $22  (withdrawal)

How should I record these in LiveAccounts?  For the intereset payments, I see a relevant category for Interest Income, but to which account should I allocate the RWT witholdings paid?

Thanks

Ultimate Partner
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: Allocating interest and RWT payments

I suggest you record the interest against "Other Income Accounts"- Interest Income

I also would create a special account to offset the tax payment.

If you were a company you should post to the Provision for Taxation Account, but assuming you are a Sole Trader, you could create a special drawings account in the Equity section called Tax Paid to keep tabs on amounts paid.

Also I recommend you supply the bank with your Tax File Number, so they stop withholding the tax in the future.

Cathie Robilliard
BCom. (Acc/Finance) UNSW
MYOB Certified Consultant
BAS Agent
email:cathier@optusnet.com.au
Servicing Sydney South, NSW
User
Australia
0 Kudos

Thank you Cathie for the reply.   The accounts are for a new company - I know next to nothing of bookkeeping so appologise for the newbie questions.  MYOB LiveAccounts doesn't have a 'Provision for Taxation' account, so I guess I should create it.  Is it an equity account?  It sounds like a liability, but since it is already paid, I guess it should be something else?

I'm pretty sure I gave the bank my TFN when they set up the business accounts...are company accounts handled differently, or should I just get in touch with them again and provide the TFN to stop them witholding?

Again, appologies for the newbie questions, I'm just learning the ropes.

Thanks

Ultimate Partner
Australia

As you are a company, all tax instalments go to the Provision for Taxation (Liability) Account.

I know this will produce a debit but this will offset against your tax bill at the end of the year.

Yes, I suggest you contact the bank again about the withholding.  They may even reverse the amounts already taken, if they haven't already sent it to the ATO.

Cathie Robilliard
BCom. (Acc/Finance) UNSW
MYOB Certified Consultant
BAS Agent
email:cathier@optusnet.com.au
Servicing Sydney South, NSW
User
Australia
0 Kudos

Thanks again, Cathy, much appreciated!