Contributing Cover User
isabellambrose
Contributing Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Bank no longer supports .qif files

Hi MYOB and Community,

My bank upgraded their online banking system which is great, but they no longer offer a .qif format for exporting transactions. Instead of an "export transactions" page which allows the user to select a date range and format, they just have a single button, which automatically downloads a .csv file of all transactions.

My bank has also never supported or offered bank feeds.

This has come at a very stressful time, where I need to balance my books and ascertain client credit before sending out invoices for my next two months of pay.

I haven't found a conversion program that I'm happy with - they either cost money, or are online, and I don't wish to share my banking data with an external company. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,752 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

5752Posts

598Kudos

774Solutions

Re: Bank no longer supports .qif files

HI @isabellambrose

Thanks for your question,

Unfortunately, the importing bank statement function in MYOB Essentials is currently limited to the qif file format. Generally speaking this is one of the most common formats used across most banks, however if for some reason your bank is not able to produce this format you will need to use a converter to change the file into a qif format.

Personally, I am not aware of any free converters that run locally on a computer capable of converting files to qif format. Generally speaking most programs that run locally on a computer are paid programs, so you may need to see if there are any free trials of programs that you like the look of to be able to download and see if it works for you.

You may also want to have a chat to your accountant and IT professional to see if either of them are familiar with any conversion programs that they can recommend for you.

Please do feel free to post any other questions that you may have

Regards
Neil
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User isabellambrose
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User
isabellambrose
Contributing Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure you can understand I'm very stressed. I have contacted the bank (QT Mutual Bank) to see if they will be supporting automated bank feeds. Do you know if MYOB will be setting up bank feeds with QTMB? They have confirmed that .qif files will no longer be supported. If there are any other solutions please let me know as I am hesitant to spend money on conversion software when I am already paying for accounting software.

Thanks

Isabella

Super Partner Murray_McKenzie
530 Posts
Super Partner
New Zealand
Murray_McKenzie
Super Partner

530Posts

232Kudos

98Solutions

Hi Isabell

If you're an intermediate user of Excel, I could give you the steps I would go through to semi-automate this process using Excel. It would be ok if you were downloading your bank transactions monthly but probably too onerous in you were doing them daily.

It would also be a straight forward project for anyone with some fairly simple programming skills. I would look for a University student (IT) to write you a simple file conversion utility.

Murray McKenzie
B.Com
IRD Registered Tax Agent
Boots 'n All Ltd
Ultimate Partner jenniek
2,125 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
jenniek
Ultimate Partner

2125Posts

830Kudos

266Solutions

Hi @isabellambrose, @Murray_McKenzie

I would google xls-qif - I'm sure I got a conversion tool free from the web.

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
JK Business Systems Ltd, Hamilton, NZ
Email: jennie@jkbusiness.co.nz
Contributing Cover User isabellambrose
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User
isabellambrose
Contributing Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks to you both for the advice. The tricky thing is I'm on a Mac, and the free ones I've found are for Windows. I'm not interested in going to a lot of effort or paying extra money as MYOB is already expensive for the size of my business, so I'm hoping the bank will begin bank feeds or that I can find alternative accounting software. I need to be checking transactions weekly or more frequently.
I appreciate the help nonetheless.
Isabella
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post