MYOB Essentials

Expand In Tray Feature to all transaction types

Jai
1 Post
User
Australia

Hi MYOB Team,

I was delighted about the announcment of the new In Tray feature offered by Essentials - an extremely sensible and practical solution to storing invoices against a transaction.

However, I was disappointed when I learned that you can only do this for "Bills". I think many people would be pleased if this functionality could be expanded to include all transaction types.

For example, if I go to the petrol station and pay for petrol, I still receive a tax invoice. I would like to be able to scan this and upload it to In Tray and then link it to a "Spend Money" transaction.

I hope you will be able to accomodate this request, otherwise people will not be readily able to move away from a paper based record keeping system.

Kind regards,

Jai

99 Comments
LeeBar
1 Post
Cover User

Totally agree with @busychemist.... I would get more benefit from being able to link my hundreds of credit card receipts for fuel, postage etc.  They do fade very quickly and they are a nightmare to enter each month....

Experienced Partner FHK
31 Posts
Experienced Partner

I agree with many of  the other comments. This in tray facility would be really useful for spend money transactions. I have clients who only use essentials as a cash book and being able to attach receipts/dockets/invoices to their spend money transactions would be fantastic. 

It would allow them to save having to print out any of the transactions that have come by email.

Looking forward to this feature being added to Essentials

FHK

GQuinn
2 Posts
Cover User

I was just discussing this possibility with one of my office colleagues. Glad to see it here as a suggestion already. Such a handy tool I'm not sure why it is still "under consideration".

Partner EvolutionClouds
4 Posts
Partner

Hi @Jai

I agree with you Essentials need to expan the ability to scan paperwork to all types of transactions. As you suggested you would like to scan dockets and have it entered. 

What you can do is to use an addon solution called Shoeboxed. 

Shoeboxed allows you to take a picture of the receipt from your phone, which uploads online and is entered by the people at shoeboxed

You will then see the receipt scanned on your shoeboxed account where you will assign the MYOB Essentials expense account and the transaction is then transferred to MYOB Essentials automatically as a journal entry! :-)

GQuinn
2 Posts
Cover User

This function is available in Xero and has been for a while. Not sure why MYOB is not keeping up with the competition.

Noremac01
3 Posts
Cover User

I am an electrician and am trying to get MYOB Essentials up and running now for next financial year. I have to write certificates of complaince for the jobs I do and would like a quick process to be able to photograph them and attach them to an invoice on the Iphone App. This way if you are writing invoices on the computer you could just photograph the certificate with the phone instead of having to write them out, tear them from the book and scan them into the computer then attach them. Is this possible? Or can you already do it? 

Partner EvolutionClouds
4 Posts
Partner

Hi Noremac,

You can use Shoeboxed to do this and the documents will stay on the cloud.

SFOTHERS
1 Post
Cover User

I am currently evaluating MYOB and XERO to move away from Spreadsheets. 1 absolute must is to be able to scan receipts for sundry items, such as fuel and parking etc. Xero has this functionality today, and I see that this post was orignally started in 2014! Is there an ETA when MYOB will make this functionality available?

Partner EvolutionClouds
4 Posts
Partner

Hey SFOTHERS

The intray functionality of MYOB and the File functionality or Xero are actually quite different. Both have advantages and disadavantages:

1. Xero allows you to upload a range of receipts and documents which you can attach and make available to a range of options: contacts, sales, purchases and spend and receive money transactions. But you still need to do all the data entry manually.

2. MYOB In Tray functionality is at this stage restricted to Payables but the software when uploading the bill does the data entry FOR YOU!

Furthermore there is A LOT more to be considered when choosing between the 2 software, my suggestion is that before you make a decision you get advised by a consultant who is comfortable using both applications and can understand your business needs and point you to the right direction. If you are making that decision you want to make it right and your financial record keeping system will manage your business!

Paolo

Evolution Cloud Accounting

www.evolutionclouds.com.au

Experienced Partner JamesSullivan
52 Posts
Experienced Partner

Please MYOB can you give me a date for when you will have your own app that will send scanned receipts into the intray for transactions that will match straight to bank feeds (including memorised transations using rules) ie have an app that will scan receipts and be able to be used with spend money and not using bills.  

I have been asking for this since the intray came out....almost 2 years i think I am not voting anymore this is a MUST have.

i dont want to do it with an add on like shoebox.

If you cant give me a date I am going to have to recommend quickbooks online to clients half the cost of MYOB Essentials ....and it has its own app letting you take pictures of receipts which will then match to bank feeds.

Anyone else asking for this please also put up a post requesting an implementation date for such an app.

Also for the electrician considering Essentials along with Xero and moving from a spreadsheet be warned Essentials does not yet have the ability to do job costing.  something else we have been asking for, for years  but we got a budgeting feature instead....something not one of my myob essentials clients have even used.