Bangladesh
pavel
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

opening previous files

Hi all,

I have been using  old version of MYOb in windows xp since long.  Few months back i have purchased new computer with windows 8, and my old version of MYOB didnt work in here.

Therefore, i have downloaded a free trial version MYOB accountsright v19 and made some day to dqay input of my daily transaction.  It may be mentioned that to use my previous version data into new accountsright, i had to upgrade it to .myo format, and it was doing great.

In the meantime, i have purchased MYOB businessbasics and installed into my new computer.  But to bring back the data from MYOB accountsright which uses .myo format, i came to know that businessbasics use .dat format.

I have tried to import older backed up files which was in .dat format, but could not import/open in the businessbasics software,  and all the time it says "this is not a businessbasics file".  I tried exporting my .dat format old data into a folder, and then importing into businessbasics.  Also i have tried to open from the saved folder but without any luck.

Any advice shall be appreciated.

Thanks n Rgds.

3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
6,260 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

6260Posts

659Kudos

863Solutions

Re: opening previous files

Hi @pavel

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a great resource.

I see you are posting from Bangladesh, whilst we welcome your contribution to our forum it is aimed at primarily supporting our Australian and New Zealand clients. For technical support for your country’s version I recommend contacting the local distributor.

Within the Australian and New Zealand versions if you are receiving a file not recognised type of error it can sometimes mean that the file has sustained some corruption and is damaged. Sometimes this can be repaired by running the file through the BusinessBasics Optimiser.

Please do feel free to post any other questions that you may have

Regards
Neil
MYOB Client Support
Ultimate User gavin12345
1,741 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

1741Posts

1408Kudos

272Solutions

Hi @pavel

Old MYOB versions also used .dat files. I suspect from what you have written, your original .dat files were MYOB Accounting files (not Business Basics files). MYOB v19 will allow you to upgrade a MYOB .dat file. MYOB v19 will allow you to use that file for 30 or 90 days before it must be Activated - it seems you have reached this point.

The problem seems to be that you purchased BusinessBasics, rather than MYOB AccountRight v19 or AR2017. Business Basics will only open or upgrade a BusinessBasics file (not an old MYOB Accounting .dat file, nor an upgraded v19 .myo file). 

If you intend to use BusinessBasics, I would suggest your only option is to create a new file. You should be able to open your file in v19 as readonly and use this to create a new file.

You may even be able to export some data out of v19 and import into Business Basics (although some modifications might be involved to correct the file format). If planning to do this, first export out of the Business Basics sample file (for example Accounts) and also export Accounts out of the v19 file. Study the export file from BusinessBasics and modify the export from v19. You should then be able to import into a new Business Basics file.

Regards

Gavin

pavel
3 Posts
User
Bangladesh
pavel
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks a lot Gavin.

You have undrstood and mentioned my problem completely with 100% accuracy.  

Now i will try to follow your advice and lets see whats happens.

Thanks once again for your advice.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post