Essentials Payroll problems

This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User fay
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Essentials Payroll problems

I am not happy with the Essential Payroll, much prefer the Desktop Payroll, but need to have remote/online access (or whatever its called) and time sheets.  

I have had numerous problems setting up the payroll and have spent endless hours with phone support.  I am having to run both payrolls simultaneously to try and overcome the problems.  The latest problem is the $ rate for paying annual leave.  The Essentials Payroll is not using the correct rate. 

I need this sorted before I hand over to the staff member who is taking over for 3 months while I am on leave.

On the basis of my experience, I would not recommend anyone using the Essentials Payroll NZ.  The time sheets are very basic and certainly don't live up to the advertising, the reports are basic and do not provide the information required, just to name a couple of shortcomings.

I would like to stress I have used MYOB Accounting and MYOB Payroll for many years and have never had problems prior to changing to Essentials Payroll. 

I await some helpful comments. 

Cheers

5 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
20,287 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Re: Essentials Payroll problems

Hi @fay

I'm sorry to hear that you are not liking MYOB Essentials.  MYOB Essentials offers some fantastic features such as:

• YourPay - which is a mobile web app that employees can enter their timesheet data and check payslips
  • PayAgent - direct process of staff wages and PAYE payments along with IRD reports automatically lodge
  • Cloud access- as its solely online it can be accessed at anytime from any location - you just need a Internet connection and a suitable Internet Browser
  • Much more

In terms of an employee's annual leave rate this is calculated for the employee's gross earnings of the last 52 weeks or ordinary weekly earnings which one is higher. If you are moving across from a previous product to Essentials you would need to ensure that those 52 weeks worth of history is added for that equation. You can enter that history for an employee via the going into that employee selecting the Pay History tab and selecting the "Enter pay history prior to using MYOB Essentials" option. From within here you can enter the required information to enter that history so the annual leave rate is basing it off the correct historical information.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Thank you Steven. 

It is nice to have Yourpay on our phones but the Time sheet is very basic and not enough space is allowed for entering job details etc.  It is of no real use to us in its present format so we have reverted to paper time sheets.

Not too sure about PayAgent, yet to discover the benefits.

Cloud access is brilliant.  That was the main reason for purchasing the payroll.

Much more? 

I was very pleased when we changed to the cloud for our accounting and encountered no problems at all.  I would have assumed MYOB could have done the same with the payroll.

I have followed the instructions carefully for the conversion but will follow up on your advice in your post. 

Will keep you updated after I have spent some time on it tomorrow.

Cheers,

10 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hello Steven.  Following up on your suggestion for historical information for annual leave rates.  Was this information not transferred when the conversion was done?  If not, why not?  Are you saying that I need to go into every employee file and select every pay date and somehow add the information?  Is there a link with detailed instructions for this?  I have been using Essentials since mid-Jan, that is 8 pay runs.  Will they need to be re-entered too?

Will try again in the morning.

Cheers, 

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
20,287 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @fay

Just speaking with the required team the migrated pay history for your employees (i.e the last 52 weeks) did carry across correctly to MYOB Essentials. 

The reason why the annual leave is different to that of the Desktop Payroll would be two fold:

1. You have pays processed after the migration has occurred which will drop out older weeks from the calculation allowing new weeks to be entered into the calculation.

2. MYOB Essentials uses a more accurate method of calculation for the annual leave rate. New Zealand Desktop Payroll uses the normal hours per week that the user would enter into the employee's record which didn't necessary have to correspond to the amount of hours worked by the employee. MYOB Essentials uses a more accurate method of using the hours actually worked by the employee as the basis for the calculation. So while both are accurate and will give you the required Annual Leave Rate, MYOB Essentials is a more accurate value as its based off the employee's actual pay not what the employer thinks the employee will work.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Thank you Steven for your assistance.  After long discussions with MYOB and Support Partner, we have decided to opt out of Essentials payroll and continue with desktop payroll until we can find another product that suits our needs.

Cheers, Fay

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post