This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing Cover User
Kaypatch
Australia
0 Kudos

How do I delete inventory items?

I have a few inventory items that need to be removed as we will never use them again and they have zero balances?  How do I do this?

Valued Partner
MySOS
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: How do I delete inventory items?

Hi Karyn,

If you go to the Admin Menu and select "Merge/Delete Records"

You can merge or delete items such as stock, customers, suppliersn and staff.

There is a good procedure to follow in your manual, you should have your hard copy as well as an electronic copy in your RetailM folder on the computer

cheers

Margaret Whitfield
My S O S

Servicing Southside Brisbane and Gold Coast onsite and throughout Australia remotely
MICB(2007) * MYOB CC (2004) * MYOB RMP (2005) * ABN (2007) * BAS Agent #90192 002 (2010)
Mobile 0488 505 505   info@mysos.com.au

User
Cameron_Duck
Australia
0 Kudos

Margaret-  we have a small retail business we purchased 4 yrs ago - included some old stock. Is there a procedure to delte stock older than say 2008 - we have it stored at home and wont sell so want to give it away. Rather than go item by item, can we do a mass delete. Presume it acts as a stock write down - gst that was paid not reclaimable? thks Cameron

Experienced User Gaz
Experienced User
Gaz
Australia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Cameron,

Do you mean "Delete" (remove) the stock Item from the datafile all together or do you mean bring the stock on hand qty/value back to zero & then flag the item as inactive?

Basically there is no bulk delete function for stock items in RM - you can delete individual stock items 1 at a time, you could purchase an addon to do it in bulk but I don't believe they work on a yr last purchased criteria to identify the stock items to delete.

If you are only looking to write off the stock on hand & related value of that stock your best bet would be to do single item stock takes for each item then to stop staff from buying or selling that item by mistake I'd flag the item as inactive. This way, while longer, gives you a full history of what has gone on with the item and automatically creates the accounting entries (assuming you export to MYOB accounting) for the stock write off..

Stock devaluations & the related increase in COGS is one of the things the ATO monitor closely so its very important that you keep accurate records of what you've done particularly if you have a largish 1 off hit for obsolete stock write offs in a particular yr. 

It is possible to speed the stocktake part of the process - ie if all the items you want to zero all belong to 1 category you could stocktake the category to bulk zero ALL items in that category - but that would need to be thought through particularly if the category includes items that you need to keep.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Garry

User
Cameron_Duck
Australia
0 Kudos

Thankyou so much Gary - really appreciate your help and was most helpful.

Valued Partner
MySOS
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Cameron,

for mass deletions you could look at "Cooking", check out it out by clicking on the word.

Cooking is a great little program to help you maintain your RM database.

Cheers

Margaret Whitfield
My S O S

Servicing Southside Brisbane and Gold Coast onsite and throughout Australia remotely
MICB(2007) * MYOB CC (2004) * MYOB RMP (2005) * ABN (2007) * BAS Agent #90192 002 (2010)
Mobile 0488 505 505   info@mysos.com.au