Unusual characters appearing in RetailManager

This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,061 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Unusual characters appearing in RetailManager

Hi All

Over the past few weeks some of our users have reported an issue with RetailManager displays certain character, resulting in a variety of Asian language characters appearing unexpectedly on a variety of screens within RetailManager, such as you can see here:

weird.png

Our team have been working hard and with the amazing assistance of our professional partner network have identified that it may have been caused by a recent update to the Kaspersky antivirus program. To help resolve this our team have come up with the following workarounds to try if you are affected by this issue.

The User and System Locales are different

As both of these are used when RetailManager draws some of the language and text characters to display on the windows, having them set to the same location will avoid some issues.  You can check these two settings here:

For the User Local, please check Control Panel >> Region & Language >> Formats (For Windows 7) and Control Panel >> Region >> Formats (Windows 8 &10*).

lang1.png

For the System Locale, please check Control Panel >> Region & Language >> Administrative (For Windows 7) and Control Panel >> Region >> Administrative (Windows 8 &10*).

lang2.png

Please ensure that both of these are set to English (Australia) or English (New Zealand), depending on your location.

*Please note that RetailManager is currently not supported on Windows 10

An East Asian Language Pack is installed

RetailManager is currently incompatible with East Asian Language Packs. If you do have any East Asian Language packs installed, we do encourage you to uninstall these if you are using RetailManager. As the removal of these may impact on other programs we do recommend you speak to your IT professional about removing these.

Refreshing the Font Cache
The Font Cache is a little section that Windows uses to help display certain fonts in other applications, such as RetailManager. In some cases, this section can become damaged and that affects other programs. To help resolve this we have developed this tool to help clear this section.

Rebuild Font Cache Tool

To use the tool, please click on the link and download the zip file it contains.  Once downloaded, please extract the tool and double click on it. This will launch the tool and you may notice a window pop up which is completely black appear. If you do see the pop up window it will only appear briefly before disappearing. When the window has closed down your Font Cache will have been rebuilt and this should stop the unusual characters appearing.

Please note that as the Font Cache is used by windows and is updated regularly by Windows you may need to run the Rebuild Font Cache tool again if the unusual characters start reappearing.

Uninstalling Kaspersky

This would be the last thing to try, as uninstalling this will remove your antivirus software and may expose your computer to a variety of internet based risks. As mentioned based off our team’s investigation that this issue may be linked to a recent Kaspersky update, so uninstalling Kaspersky will remove the update and may resolve this issue.  

Before doing this, we do recommend that you speak to your IT professional over any risks involved with this and if possible to disconnect your computers from the internet to minimise any risks to your computers.

I would also like to make a special thank you to the invaluable assistance of our Retail Partners, particularly @Stuart_Donaldson and @JohnnnyG. We genuinely couldn’t have done this without your help, and so from both myself and our team doing the investigation please let me express a deep and grateful thank you.

Please do reply to this post and let us know how you get on and what worked for you.

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
6 REPLIES
Trusted Partner Stuart_Donaldson
318 Posts
Trusted Partner
Australia

Re: Unusual characters appearing in RetailManager

Hi Neil

Reference the asterixed note in your reply, I understood that the RetailManager v12.5 update was supposed to address Windows 10 compatibility in addition to the API linking to AccountRight in the cloud. Is this no longer the case?

Stuart Donaldson
RMP/Developer, ODBC, Access, Crystal
49 Ternes Rd, Upwey, Vic 3158
Ph: 0418 148569

Super Partner HelenB
218 Posts
Super Partner
New Zealand

Hi @Stuart_Donaldson

From my knowledge, Retail Manager v12.5 was for the Windows 8 compatability, not Windows 10. However I do know of clients running it successfully on Windows 10. 

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Experienced Partner Donnad
15 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

Thank you for the update - I have just worked through with four clients all running Win 7 and Kaspersky. Rebuilding the Font Cache seems to be the trick. All their System and User locales were already set for Australia and Kaspersky had already been told to ignore the MYOB installations.

I will be interested to see how long before we need to run the Font Cache Tool again if at all.

Many thanks Donna (and four happier RM users)

Donna D
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,061 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi Donna ( @Donnad )

Fantastic to hear that rebuilding the Font Cache has worked for you and your clients, and thank you for letting us know what worked and didn’t work for you. I’m also curious as to whether you will need to run the tool across those files again.

Please don’t hesitate to post any time you have a question, as I’m sure the MYOB Community will be happy to assist.

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User SteveNapier
26 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia

We have now been able to access MYOB RM (v12.5) without the Chinese Characters appearing. 

We tried all the suggestions & the .bat file, to no avail.

We turned Kaspersky OFF in the System Tray (win 7 Pro 64bit), loaded RM, confirmed there were no Chinese Characters, and restarted Kaspersky.

The issue has not reared it's head again. 

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Steve Napier

Intuitive Computers

Bundaberg, QLD 4670.

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
5,061 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand

Hi @SteveNapier

Great to hear that you have been able to get those Chinese Characters to disappear after restarting your Kaspersky.

Please do feel free to post any other questions that you may have.

Kind regards,
Neil
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post