This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Experienced Cover User
RayJordan
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: Email Problems with Invoices

I have Account Right Plus V19 running on two machines.  On my XP machine I can email invoices using Outlook Express.  This works very nicely.

However on my Vista machine, I can not get Account Right to email invoices through Microsoft Mail (the default email program on Vista).  I keep getting an error meassage that refers to MAPI installation.  If someone has some suggestions, I would be grateful.

Additionally, does anyone know why the same "Send To" button that allows easy email does not appear at the bottom of the "Pay Bills" window?  This would make sending a remittance advice by email SO much easier.

Ray Jordan
Please use plain text.
Experienced Cover User
Laopi
Australia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vivienne

Now things are getting confusing. I am not sure what you mean by Eudora has been archived.

Now you are talking about a MAPI error. Is it a mapi32.dll missing error? If so that is a problem I have not had a first hand experience at solving but you will find plenty of other users suffering from the same problem and as several other posts on this forum will confrim. The my.myob site has a technical note on this issue, http://myobaustralia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myobaustralia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9229

If the above link does not work log into  https://my.myob.com.au go to support, knowledge base, in the search box type "MAPI" enter and the first technical note titled "Email Troubleshooting" has the information

This solution requires the use of an XP install disc, I doubt there are too many of these lying around since I suspect most XP users like myself have no idea where their XP install discs are. Maybe someone else has another solution as to how you re-install Outlook without the XP install disk. Re-installing Outlook is the key to solving your problem my guess is your old Eurdora install over wrote these mapi32.dll and associated files that you are now missing.

MAPI is the protocol that various programs use to send emails. You can confirm the correct functioning of the MAPI installtion on your computer by using a non MYOB program such as a Microsoft Office product.  From Word or Excel go to Start Send email if your MAPI installation is ok then your default email program should fire up. If that works ok then you can assume your MAPI install is working ok

Since you are using XP I would try and get your MYOB install working with Outlook. We all know for sure this does works. You could then simply use Outlook for sending your MYOB emails, (disable all of Outlooks receiving email functions) and continue to use your email client of choice for all your other email requirements.

Good Luck

Peter

Please use plain text.
Experienced Cover User
Laopi
Australia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ray

I run AccountRight Enterprise V19.5 on a Vista machine and can email invoices using Windows Mail which looks to be pretty much Outlook Express with a new name. I am not sure how much difference there is between AccountRight Plus and Enterprise, perhaps someone else has a comment on this. Certainly you have to set your default email program in Vista, this is done via Control Panel, Default Programs, Set your default programs select Windows Mail and Set this program as default.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Experienced Cover User
RayJordan
Australia
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter,

I do have Windows Mail set as the default... I just checked again.  I also checked the Knowledge Base item as per the previous post.  I have copied both the mapi32.dll and mapistub.dll files into the Windows/System folder from the Windows/System32 folder.  I thought that might help.  Nope :-(

The exact message I get is "An email session could not be started.  Please check your MAPI installation."  I checked it, now what do I do?

I am reminded of the wonderful light on the dash panel of a car that lights up and says "Check engine".   Very informative :-)

Ray :-)

Ray Jordan
Please use plain text.
Experienced Cover User
Laopi
Australia
0 Kudos

Ray

Is the problem MYOB or MAPI? Try running up Excel or Word or anything else you know of other than MYOB that will email something from the program. From Excel and Word select Start, Send, E-Mail as PDF attachment. That should test if your MAPI set up is good or bad. If good then perhaps a MYOB re-install is in order.

I get the feeling that unless these emails programs are in place with their respective MAPI files when the MYOB install is done then you get these MAPI errors.

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
Experienced Cover User
RayJordan
Australia
0 Kudos

Sorry for the late response.... I've been away.

It looks like the problem might be with MAPI itself.  Word and Excel (Office 2003) have two methods of emailing a file ... one is the "Send to" function under the File menu.  This uses your own default email program and it works fine on this Vista machine.

The other method is to use the E-mail button on the toolbar.  This uses Word or Excel's own inbuilt email program.  These appear to work when you send (no error messages appear) but the apparently sent email never arrives at its destination.  Neither method has a convert to .pdf option on my machine.

But wait ... thinking about this some more ... if Word and Excel both sent email just fine using Windows Mail via the "Send to" option, it must have used MAPI because this is the same procedure as you use in Accounting Plus.  I need to do the compliance update so I'll see if that helps.  Upgrading from V18 to V19 a few months ago didn't help.

Ray Jordan
Please use plain text.
Cover User
speedqueen
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just wanted to share some info...I am running V19 and just installed it on my new laptop (had v18.5 on my old computer) with no hiccups at all.... until I wanted to email an invoice to my customer and received an error message...

" the attachment file was created successfully but there was an error writing it"

I am using Windows XP & Outlook Express 6 and checked all my connections as follows;

Outlook Express 5, 5.1 & 6

1. Go to the Tools Menu, choose Options.
  2. Choose the General Tab.
  3. Down the bottom there is a section marked 'Default Messaging Programs'.
  4. Click on the button marked 'Make Default'. If this button is 'dimmed' the Outlook Express is already your default mail program.

Well everything was fine but then remembered that on my old computer I would get a message prior to the invoice being sent that the SMTP was sending the information and I was to confirm yes or no. So I did some research about that and well..

I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT CHECKING THE SMTP settings on my new computer.

So please check this also on your computer because as soon as I did check my setup I found info was missing. I filled in the details, fired up MYOB again and well the emailed sent straight away, no problems.

SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
The SMTP facility sends your email directly via an Internet email server, bypassing your email program.

To check your settings;

1. Go to Control Panel

2 Click on Mail program

3. CLICK ON Email Accounts

4. under E-Mail click "view or change"

5.click next

6.find your server..if its not there add it ie. pop-server@bigpond.

7. highlight the server details and click on " change"

8. make sure all your internet settings are there...if not fill in the details

9.click on "more settings"

10.click on "outgoing server" tab

11. make sure the first box is checked and the next circle is picked

press ok

Just remember if you use an Internet Service Provider (ISP), you should use the same address that you have used for your email program, either as a server name, (e.g. mail.bigpond.com) or as an IP address (e.g.144.135.25.9). Remember if you use an ISP or dial into your work network you must be connected before you click the email button. Information I found  recommended that you supply your email address as some servers will not pass your email on without it.

Hope this has helped someone????:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
MYOB Staff
Paul_Durie
New Zealand

Hi All

I thought I should clarify a few things here.

Over the years MYOB has gradually dropped support for various emailing systems for various reasons, for the rest of the post when I say "Not supported" that is because there was a defect discovered and that system was removed from support, so not supported is the same as does not work properly if at all.

All versions of Outlook Express = Supported

All versions of Outlook = Supported

The MAPI that was used by Microsoft with WInmail (Vista) and Windows Mail or Windows LIve Mail (Win7) is different enough from the old MAPI in Outlook Express for it to be not supported. It may work fine for some people but it is not reliable and anything could stop it working such as a security patch that changes something slightly.

Thunderbird kept up with the MAPI unti Win7 but we dropped support for it much earlier due to another reason. It was found that Thunderbird had a tendancy to fall behind with bulk mail sends, so it would take the first 5 - 10 statements in the bulk send and send them to the first email address, naturally this means your sending confidential statements to the wrong address, based on this we could no longer support Thunderbird.

No other email system is supported with MYOB software due to MAPI incompatibilities at this time.

Paul Durie
Community Forum Moderator

Would you like to show your appreciation?

----- Give KUDOS!  

146i29F08C6D1277628A

Has someone answered your post?

-----Make it an ACCEPTED SOLUTION!  

147iCAF992B0DF357290

Please use plain text.
tmp
Cover User
tmp
Australia
0 Kudos

Thankyou for that information, but again i say, dont you think MYOB should look at doing something to work with Windows live mail!

Windows live mail comes with WINDOWS 7, which is being more and more used today. Most small businesses do not want to fork out the extra money to install an extra program just to email.

No one wants to take responsibility that it isnt compatiable. I have been using MYOB since vesion 4, and i hate to say that with all the problems i am having i would have to look else where!

IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN, before hand, when i upgraded my computer, and had to buy new OFFICE, i might have bought the one with outlook, but BECAUSE windows live came with the computer, (AND IT WORKED AT FIRST) we didnt feel the need spend the extra on something we didnt need

I have spent wasted days, trying to download programs and use Myob. Nothing worked!

I am not a happy camper.

Please use plain text.
Partner
Bpart
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have had exactly this same drama for endless months.  I run Myob on 4 computers, with Outlook, and 1 with Windows Mail.  I have finally, tonight, solved the issue as follows:

Myob is open,

Windows Mail MUST be CLOSED

Send emails from Myob

Open Windows Mail and press the Send/Receive button to process.

DONE

ALL is WELL :smileyhappy:

Something so simple yet so frustratingly painful!!!

Good luck,

Kate

Please use plain text.