This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing Cover User
supermannn
Australia
0 Kudos

Inventory help

Hey guys, I've recently upgraded to standards from basics. I've had a few previous sales, on the company file. Now that i enter a new item to add into inventory, in the option 'I inventory this item', it has an error "you have sales or purchases on file for this item", how do i get rid of this so i can put the number of stock on hand in the inventory account. thank you.

Please use plain text.
Super Partner
Tazter

Re: Inventory help

Hi Truong,

There is a MYOB Support Note on Periodic inventory on this link Periodical inventory as well as this Support Note on Perpetual Inventory "I Buy", "I Sell", "I Inventory" and linked accounts that would be of benefit to you.

It appears that you want to change your inventory from a 'periodic' type to a 'perpetual' type.  This is not an easy fix as you already know by now that you cannot change the existing items to "I inventory this item".  You need to export your items, rename & mark the existing items as inactive then import your items once you have set them to 'I inventory' and assigned each of them to the Inventory Asset Account Number.  It can be a daunting process if you have many stock items however I have included the methodology to achieve that transition.

The methodology that has been used by others in the past is as follows:-

1. Backup your company file
  2. Export the items ensuring all the Fields are exported by clicking the 'Add All' icon in the 'Select Fields' screen of the 'Import and Export' Assistant
  3. Name the export file something like "New Items"
  4. Change each item number in your company file by prefixing it with the Z character so that item WR7DDX becomes ZWR7DDX
  5. If you already have item numbers that start with a Z then use ZZ so that item number Z145 becomes ZZ145 and so on
  6. Once you have renamed all your items export the items but selecting only these 2 'Export Fields' in the 'Export Data' screen:- 'Item Number:' and 'Inactive Item:'
  7. Name that export file "Inactive Items"
  8. Open the "Inactive Items" export file in Excel and change all values in the "Inactive Item" column from N to Y then save your file
  9. Import the revised "Inactive Items" export file into your company file; make sure the 'Import File Format:' is identical to the format of the Original Exported File
  10. In the 'Format' tab of the 'Import and Export' Assistant ensure that the 'If data you are importing already exists in this company file:' value matches what I've outlined in attached "Image #1"
  11. If the Import is 100% successful then all the items that you renamed in steps 4 & 5 are now inactive; click the 'Show Inactive' box on the 'Items List' as indicated in "Image #2"
  12. Now open your "New Items" exported file in Excel with the objective of populating the "Inventory" column with I (the uppercase i character)
  13. AND
  14. Populating the "Asset Acct" column with the Inventory Account number in the format 99999 for example 1-1400 becomes 11400
  15. Once all the new values have been assigned to the "Inventory" and "Asset Acct" columns save then close the file
  16. Import the now revised "New Items" file into your company file; make sure the 'Import File Format:' is identical to the format of the Original Exported File
  17. While on the 'Format' tab of the 'Import and Export' Assistant ensure that the  'If data you are importing already exists in this company file:' value matches 'Reject the import data'
  18. A successful 100% import will mean that every active item in your company file is now set to "I inventory this Item"
Kind Regards

Tony Lane - Ulverstone - Tasmania
Perpetual Inventory - Image 1.jpg
Perpetual Inventory - Image 2.jpg
Please use plain text.