This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing Cover User
Studiodreams
Australia
0 Kudos

Entitlement journal Entry

I am having a problem with Entitlements.

I have a new file for a new company. The file started on the 1st of July 2010 and there is no previous year.

We have four directors and a number of employees. They all get paid monthly.

My accountant's bookkeeper advised me recently that I had entered in the accrual amounts for sick and holiday pay incorrectly. She also suggested a different set up for the director's pay (they get paid through payroll). 

Rather than doing an adjustment I decided to take out all of the pays and enter them back in again (There were a few other things that I wanted changed in the pays anyway, so I thought it best to start from scratch). So that all went smoothly and I entered the employees back in. I made some new entitlement categories for the Directors and entered them in again, however the entitlement figures still seemed wrong for the two directors that had taken holiday leave and sick leave during the year.

I checked lots of things and ended up taking all of the directors pays out again. There are no pays in the system, no transactions for the directors at all, but for these two directors their cards have balances in their sick and holiday accruals. there is nothing in their payroll history. The Payroll transaction report detail and summary come up blank, but the entitlement report (detail and summary) list an entitlement adjustment, one for 1/11/10 for one director and one for 1/10/10 for the other director. Neither of those dates were payroll dates. When I try to view the transaction from the report it brings up the blank 'find transaction' window, with no account selected.

I know I can change the 'carry over' in the card file, but this seems messy to me. I would like to take it out properly, because I don't know where it came from in the first place.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions I could get about this.

Thanks!

Ellie

Please use plain text.
Ultimate Partner
Clive
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: Entitlement journal Entry

Hi Ellie,

I would check the entitlements and see how many times a payroll category is linked to an entitlement.  It is not unusual to have a salary holiday entitlement for non-hourly employees and an hourly holiday entitlement with both linked to holiday pay.  You should have a separate wages category for holiday pay for hourly and holiday pay for salaried staff.

Regards

Clive Williams

MYOB Certified Consultant & Accredited Trainer; Ostendo Consulting Partner
Cert IV Financial Services (Bookkeeping); Cert IV Training & Assessment; BAS Agent 92620 006
Providing on-site MYOB support in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury
Remote support available for MYOB throughout Australia
Mobile: 0418.657.833 AH (02) 4754.4151
email: clive@crwservices.com.au website: www.crwservices.com.au
Please use plain text.
Contributing Cover User
Studiodreams
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your reply!

Part of the reason I was re-entering all the directors pay was so that I could set them up with their own separate holiday & Sick entitlements and categories.

In that process it seems MYOB has made a hidden journal entry that has taken the total of 1 directors sick leave and minused it from the regular Sick accrual and added it into the Sick accrual for directors. So overall it does balance out, but it does concern me that it is there at all, considering she has no pay in the system. The same is true for for the second director, only it is for his holiday accrual.

Does that sound like something that MYOB would do on its own?

In any case I need to know how to access these journal entries to delete them. I can't access them through find transaction, because they are not linked to any account, they are just for entitlements. and looking at the employee cards brings up nothing.

Ellie

Please use plain text.
Contributing Cover User
Studiodreams
Australia
0 Kudos

Actually, I found a solution.

I still don't know what the problem is, but I realised the reason I couldn't delete the card was because I had a non payroll re-imbursment attached to it. I deleted that and I deleted the card.

It doesn't explain why the entitlements were wrong, but at least I can re-enter everything now!

thanks for your help Clive!!

Ellie

Please use plain text.
Ultimate Partner
Clive
Australia
0 Kudos

Hi Ellie,

There may have been an entry made in the card in the Pay History section under the Payroll Details tab.

Regards

Clive Williams

MYOB Certified Consultant & Accredited Trainer; Ostendo Consulting Partner
Cert IV Financial Services (Bookkeeping); Cert IV Training & Assessment; BAS Agent 92620 006
Providing on-site MYOB support in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury
Remote support available for MYOB throughout Australia
Mobile: 0418.657.833 AH (02) 4754.4151
email: clive@crwservices.com.au website: www.crwservices.com.au
Please use plain text.