Start a Post

how to record payroll in the past for a new account

jenv
2 Posts
Cover User
Australia

how to record payroll in the past for a new account

Hi

Our company is working on a Research and Development (R&D) project. I already created a R&D expenditure account to record expenses for the project. However, i just realise that i also need to record  payroll for this project to keep track of the wages expense for the R&D Expenditure account. I did not enter any hours worked on R&D separately on MYOB  system and paid the wages as normal in the past. We just track and calculate the actual hours of each employee who worked on this R&D project. I assume that i have to somehow create a separate R&D wages account somehow. Could you please advise how can i record the wages in the past for all employees to be added up to the R&D expenditure account but do not confuse the Total Wages and Salaries Account (because BAS statements were already lodged)?

I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you

3 REPLIES
Ultimate Partner ronatbas
3,306 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia

Re: how to record payroll in the past for a new account

@jenv

Can I suggest the following:

On your chart of accounts create a new account under R&D Expenditure calles Wages R&D.Under Payroll Categories > Wages create a new hourly wage called Hours R&D (or similar), change the default employees wage account to the expense account Wages R&D.

Link everyone who has been paid R&D hours.

Check that your super calculating on Gross Wages

From your spreadsheet total each employees R&D hours and put through a void pay minus base hours plus WagesR&D hours. There should not be any entitlement figures or Super.

Call up a payroll category report and check that the correct hours are showing in Base Hourly and R&D hours.

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
jenv
2 Posts
Cover User
Australia

@ronatbas

Thank you for your response. I am not so familiar with this. I followed some of your instructions but unsure about a few things.

On your chart of accounts create a new account under R&D Expenditure calles Wages R&D => DONE

Under Payroll Categories > Wages create a new hourly wage called Hours R&D (or similar) => I created a new hourly wage called R&D hours - I did not do the following but Do i need to tick OPTIONAL ACCOUNT (OVERRIDE EMPLOYEES' WAGE EXPENSE ACCOUNT) and change from the Wages & Salaries Account to R&D Wages Account?

, change the default employees wage account to the expense account Wages R&D => Not sure if what i did is correct - Under Setup > Linked Accounts > Payroll Accounts > change the DEFAULT WAGES EXPENSE ACCOUNT from Wages & Salaries Account TO R&D Hours Account

Link everyone who has been paid R&D hours =>DONE

Check that your super calculating on Gross Wages => Our calculation basis equals X% of Gross Wages. I am pretty sure it is correct.

From your spreadsheet total each employees R&D hours => it is totalled up and put through a void pay minus base hours plus WagesR&D hours => I am not sure what this means. There should not be any entitlement figures or Super.

Call up a payroll category report and check that the correct hours are showing in Base Hourly and R&D hours

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge in this but i am trying to address the issue.

Ultimate Partner ronatbas
3,306 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia

@jenv

There was something in your earlier note that concerned me a little. I want assure that none of these actions will upset previously lodged figures, providing that the hours for the period do not change. All of the payroll reports are drawn from the Payroll module and the employee cards.

I didn't mention but for safety call up a Payroll activity summary report for this payroll year to date before and after you do this.

I will follow your lead:

On your chart of accounts create a new account under R&D Expenditure calles Wages R&D => DONE

Good

Under Payroll Categories > Wages create a new hourly wage called Hours R&D (or similar) => I created a new hourly wage called R&D hours - I did not do the following but Do i need to tick OPTIONAL ACCOUNT (OVERRIDE EMPLOYEES' WAGE EXPENSE ACCOUNT) and change from the Wages & Salaries Account to R&D Wages Account?

You need to do this so that it is picked up on COA as Wages R&D

, change the default employees wage account to the expense account Wages R&D => Not sure if what i did is correct - Under Setup > Linked Accounts > Payroll Accounts > change the DEFAULT WAGES EXPENSE ACCOUNT from Wages & Salaries Account TO R&D Hours Account

No this will mean that all of your wages and salaries will report to that account. Make sure that you flick this back to the Wages and Salaries account.

The change has to be made on the wages category Wages R&D window

Link everyone who has been paid R&D hours =>DONE

Good

Check that your super calculating on Gross Wages => Our calculation basis equals X% of Gross Wages. I am pretty sure it is correct.

It is, but if had been set to another setting it would not work correctly with multiple wages categories.

From your spreadsheet total each employees R&D hours => it is totalled up and put through a void pay minus base hours plus WagesR&D hours => I am not sure what this means. There should not be any entitlement figures or Super.

A void pay is where there is a net zero pay. Make the date end of month or some off payroll date that will mean something. Cheque ADJR&DW. When you open an employees payscreen there should be two wages categories. On the base hourly put a negative number of hours that you want to move to R&D, on the Wages R&D put the same number as a positive. Gross pay =zero, PAYG=zero.  Zero any amounts that appear under Entitlements and Super or any other allowances extra super. MYOB will query if you want to record etc. Click YES/OK

Call up a payroll category report and check that the correct hours are showing in Base Hourly and R&D hours

Best wishes

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post