This thread is now archived and closed to new comments.
If you have a question please post a new topic.
Contributing Cover User
MartinaT
Australia
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

PAYG withholding reporting period

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get a help related to PAYG withholding accounting period.

In general I process salaries right on the last day of the month related to the pay month..E.g.. salary for January I will process on 31.January. Then MYOB payroll automatically sends the appropriate figures to each account  with the date 31.1. so when I need to run some report..E.g.. PAYG withholding for Activity statement report the figures will appear in the January report.

But there was a month when I processed salaries lets say third day of the month following the month of the salary..E.g.. salary for February I processed on 3rd March and the figures were sent to each account with the March date. Then when I run Activity statement for February the amount for PAYG withholding was not included in the report and appeared in the March report...That leaves me with February report figures zero and March double the amount (February+March salaries...).I am not sure what is correct. I tried to research some information about PAYG withholding tax but didn't really find anything helpful.

What is the right way to report the figures on Activity statement and what is the right way for the accounting? Is there a way how I can post the salary figures to the accounting with the date related to the pay month e.g.. January to January even though I processed the salary in February?

We report on a cash basis. Could anyone help?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Martina

Please use plain text.
Ultimate Partner
Julie_A_C
Australia

Re: PAYG withholding reporting period

The PAYG reported to the ATO will be as per your activity summary.  The wages are only deemed to be income to the employee and an expense for you when actually paid. ie in March.

If you need the figures to be correct on a profit and loss you would need to do an adjustment as at 28/2 to bring the wages in as an expense for that month and then reverse the entry in march. 

Julie Carter AIPA, BBus(Acctg),
MYOB Professional Partner, Registered BAS Service Provider
Associate Member of Institute of Public Accountants
ph: 0417 927 654 email: accuratebooks7@gmail.com
Accurate Books Always (Servicing from Leederville to Pinjarra, Fremantle to Armadale WA)
Please use plain text.
Contributing Cover User
MartinaT
Australia
0 Kudos

Re: PAYG withholding reporting period

Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.