Forum Discussion

HelenSom
Experienced Cover User
10 days ago

ATO Lodgement Errors

Hi

We're trying to lodge a 2024 Trust Income Tax Return in MYOB AE and it is being rejected with the following validation errors:

Errors
Code: CMN.ATO.GEN.XML01
Fields:
Summary: The message did not pass XML validation. Please contact your software
provider.
Details: If the 'nillable' attribute is false in the schema, the 'xsi:nil'
attribute must not be present in the instance.

Code: CMN.ATO.GEN.XML03
Fields:
Summary: A field contains invalid data (such as letters in numeric or date
field).
Details: The value specified for an item does not match the item type (value =
"", item type = Decimal, uniqueID =
http://www.sbr.gov.au/ato/trt:AssetsInventoriesTotalA) Hint: The string
'' is not a valid Decimal value.

I have tried deleting the return and re-entering - same issue.

Any other ideas?  The only details I can find online for these errors talk about STP finalisation....

Thanks

• Hi HelenSom,

For this error please add a value of 0 at item 41 closing stock on your trust return and re-lodge. It seems from this year ATO is expecting a value at item 41 if any of the items 41 to 44 has a value.

Regards

Daljit

10 Replies

TimFlynn
    Contributing User

We just had a similar error for an individual return and managed to fix it. For us the issue was that where we were required to declare how much of an income (In this case balancing adjustment) was for rental or financial income we left those blank (as it was nil for those) instead of putting 0.00. once I changed this it lodged. 

Princess_R
      MYOB Moderator

Hi TimFlynn,

Kudos to you for figuring out the error and sharing the fix. It's easy to overlook such things, and your solution could be a real lifesaver for others facing the same issue. Thanks a bunch!

Feel free to share insights or start a new post if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

• I have the same issue for the Trust Tax Return lodgements using PLS. 

Does anyone have found any solution to this issue?

HelenSom
      Experienced Cover User

I haven't found any yet unfortunately.  The only reply from MYOB is the one of above which is obviously of no use.  I have also logged a support call so hopefully they'll get back to me in the next few days.

Jemar_C
        MYOB Moderator

Hi HelenSom,

Thank you for your post. I understand that you have already lodged a support case, while waiting for the support team you may also check this link . It has detailed information about lodgment and error if you re using MYOB AE/AO.

Feel free to write a post if you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Jem

• Hi HelenSom,

For this error please add a value of 0 at item 41 closing stock on your trust return and re-lodge. It seems from this year ATO is expecting a value at item 41 if any of the items 41 to 44 has a value.

Regards

Daljit

HelenSom
      Experienced Cover User

Thank you so much - that worked and the return is now lodged!!

Isaiah_C
    MYOB Moderator

Hi HelenSom,

Thank you for the post. The error you're encountering indicates that there is an invalid character somewhere in your payroll information. Please check for any invalid characters in your employee cards and payroll category names. 

For detailed information and instructions on how to fix this, please refer to this link: Fix rejected reports in Single Touch Payroll (myob.com).

Regards,

Sai

HelenSom
      Experienced Cover User

Unfortunately I'm not doing payroll.  I'm not in a MYOB product (AccountRight or Business), I'm in AE 2024.0a Hotfix 1 Tax.

I'm trying to lodge a 2024 Trust Income Tax Return and this client does not pay wages at all therefore does not have Single Touch Payroll.

The tax return validates in MYOB AE, however on attempting to lodge it with the ATO it is rejected and I get the above (see initial query) on the Validation Report.

Any other suggestions??

Princess_R
        MYOB Moderator

Hi HelenSom,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the ATO lodgment. These validation errors are usually due to some missing or incomplete data in the worksheets you're trying to file with your tax return. The first error (CMN.ATO.GEN.XML01) is a bit like a puzzle - it's saying there might be a problem with the way the XML is put together or formatted. This usually means we need to tweak how the data is being processed or exported from MYOB AE. The second error (CMN.ATO.GEN.XML03), is pointing out data that doesn't meet the ATO's expectations. In this case, it's flagging a Decimal value that's not formatted right (it's an empty string instead of a valid Decimal value). Since you've already tried re-entering and encountered the same issue, the first thing I'd suggest is to check your XML configuration and make sure that MYOB AE is updated to the latest version.

If the error persists, you may need to visit help sites like myob.com/support or myaccount.myob.com to find MOCA, our virtual assistant.  If MOCA can't help, you'll be automatically directed to our live chat team.

Feel free to get in touch if you need more help.

Cheers, 

Princess