Forum Discussion

frenchery
Contributing User
13 days ago

invoice staged payment but wrong amount paid

Good evening dear community,

I have a situation where I have agreed with a client staged payment terms for an invoice: 50% at order, 50% at delivery.

The accounting department has mistakenly paid 100% at order, I have then transferred back 50%.

In MYOB Business, I don't know how to allocate the various entries:

• Entry 1: 100% paid by the client
  • Entry 2: 50% reimbursed by me

I could not allocate the reimbursement entry to my invoice directly.

I suspect that I need to allocate 50% of the first entry to the invoice and the remaining 50% to another chart of account, and then allocate my reimbursement to that other chart of account so they cancel out.

Would someone have a solution they could explain step-by-step ?

Thank you in advance

• Hi frenchery,

No worries, I got you!

If a customer overpays an invoice, just record a Receive Payments transaction for the total amount they paid, including the overpayment. This will automatically create a credit for the extra amount, which you can either refund or apply to another invoice. For more details, check out this Help article: Customer Overpayments. 

Another way to handle it is by creating a separate account for the overpayment. Allocate the extra 50% there, and when you reimburse the 50%, record a Spend Money transaction and allocate it to the overpayments account to reconcile.

Feel free to get in touch if you need more help.

Cheers,

Princess

9 Replies

Princess_R
    MYOB Moderator

Hi frenchery,

No worries, I got you!

If a customer overpays an invoice, just record a Receive Payments transaction for the total amount they paid, including the overpayment. This will automatically create a credit for the extra amount, which you can either refund or apply to another invoice. For more details, check out this Help article: Customer Overpayments. 

Another way to handle it is by creating a separate account for the overpayment. Allocate the extra 50% there, and when you reimburse the 50%, record a Spend Money transaction and allocate it to the overpayments account to reconcile.

Feel free to get in touch if you need more help.

Cheers,

Princess

frenchery
    Contributing User

Thank you Princess.

The 1st option would not work for my specific use case as the invoice was not really overpaid. I receive the full amount but had agreed with the client for 50%-50% payment terms.

The 2nd idea seems more adapted to my case.

Thank you.

Pierre

Princess_R
      MYOB Moderator

Hi frenchery,

I'm glad the second idea seems to fit your situation better. If you need further assistance or if there's anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to start a new post.

Cheers,

Princess

frenchery
    Contributing User

Hi Princess_R ,

I would need a bit more help to complete that task.

I created the new category for "overpayment", when assigning the amount received, I chose "allocate" and put 50% of the amount in the new category "overpayment".
    However, I am not able to then go to "match transaction" to assign the remaining 50% to the invoice.

Could you guide me through the process of allocating the remaining 50% to a specific invoice if I cannot use 'Match transaction'.

Thanks

Princess_R
      MYOB Moderator

Hi frenchery,

Sure! Since you've already allocated the first 50% of the amount to the overpayment category, you’ll need to manually allocate the remaining 50%. Go to bank transactions and find the transaction you have partially allocated. Click on the transaction to open the details. You should see an option to allocate the remaining amount. Select the invoice you want to allocate the remaining 50% to. 

For more information, please check out these Help articles:

If you're still unable to match transactions and need more assistance, please partner with our live chat support team. Head on over to http://myob.com/contactus and click the purple speech bubble (lower right-hand corner) to open MOCA. From there, type in "get help from a support agent," and this will give you a link to open a live chat.

Cheers,

Princess

frenchery
        Contributing User

Hi Princess_R

The problem is still there:

• under "categorise", I can allocate to a chart of account
        • under "match transaction", I can associate an invoice

But I cannot allocate the amount in both. It is either "categorise" or "match transaction".

Could you please advise how should I allocate:

• 50% to a chart of account "overpayment"
        • 50% to an invoice

Thanks.

frenchery
    Contributing User

Also I do not have the 'purple bubble' on the contactus page for some reason

Princess_R
      MYOB Moderator

Hi frenchery,

Seems like you're missing the 'purple bubble' on the Contact Us page, which is likely a feature or icon that should be visible. Please clear your browser cache, as this can often resolve display issues. 

As for the allocation issue you're experiencing, when you're on the bank transaction, click on "Match transaction" and look for the invoice transaction you should be matching with. If you enter 50% against the transaction, there will be a remaining 50% of the payment. From that window, you should have an option to categorize the balance to the overpayment account.

If you're still unable to allocate, please reach out to our live chat support team through our MOCA, or you can directly contact our support team for further help.

Cheers,
      Princess

frenchery
    Contributing User

Thanks.

I think i figured it out. I had to click on "add adjustment" button at the bottom to then be able to allocate to a chart of account