Forum Discussion

accountfit
Partner
6 years ago

STP quarterly reporting

This week I attended an ATO forum and was informed that Micro Employers will be able to report their wages quarterly for STP.

How will MYOB be accomodating this process so that only the total wage figures for each quarter can be uploaded to the ATO and the wages are not uploaded each payroll process?

Many thanks for your assistance.

TraceyE
    5 years ago

Hi Mare

I believe the distinguish is between payroll software and STP reporting software. 

STP enabled payroll software can do both the pays and report to the ATO. If a client uses this type of software and has employees (other than closely held employees) then they would not be reporting quarterly.

Clients without payroll software must use STP reporting software to send their data to the ATO. There is STP software available that doesn't prepare the pays, it just sends your data (quarterly totals or weekly etc) to the ATO.

I'm sure you have already figured this out by now but thought I'd post anyway :)

Tracey

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    IanChait
    Ultimate Partner

Hi accountfit 

Hope you enjoyed the ATO Forum. I attended an ATO STP Workshop this week as well.

The figures that are reported to the ATO each payevent are the year to date totals, not the individual payevent totals. So if you only report,quarterly, then the quarterly report will include all the amounts.

However, the quarterly exemption is intended for micro employees who don't have software, or internet. If you have software that can report each payevent, I would recommend doing so. If you plan to only report quarterly, you should check with the ATO that the quarterly exemption will apply if you have software that is STP enabled. 

accountfit
      Partner

Hi Ian,

Sorry for late response

In regards to your comments below - for a client to report quarterly they have to have STP compliant software.

so I don't understand why they would be forced to report more regularly than quarterly if they don't have to.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

cheers

Mare

TraceyE
        Contributing Partner

Hi Mare

I believe the distinguish is between payroll software and STP reporting software. 

STP enabled payroll software can do both the pays and report to the ATO. If a client uses this type of software and has employees (other than closely held employees) then they would not be reporting quarterly.

Clients without payroll software must use STP reporting software to send their data to the ATO. There is STP software available that doesn't prepare the pays, it just sends your data (quarterly totals or weekly etc) to the ATO.

I'm sure you have already figured this out by now but thought I'd post anyway :)

Tracey