Forum Discussion

Kel4
User
11 months ago

TFN Declaration

Hi all,

I was just after some clarification on the TFN Declaration for employee onboarding.

I understand that STP Phase 2 reports directly to the ATO so the employer no longer needs to lodge the TFN Declaration.

My issue is specifically with whether or not the Tax Declaration the employee completes during their online onboarding is sufficient enough to satisfy the ATO record keeping requirements. The below was taken from the ATO website and says that the employee still needs to provide a completed TFN Declaration.  Do I still need to have the employee fill out their section of the NAT 3092 Tax File Number Declaration or is the MYOB declaration sufficient?

Seems like a lot of double handling if it isn't.

Relationship between STP and the TFN declaration

STP Phase 2 doesn't change the way your employees give you information about their tax circumstances. Your employees should still give you a completed TFN declaration.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Kel4,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with FN (Tax File Number) Declaration. I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. It's important to ensure compliance with the ATO's record-keeping requirements when it comes to tax declarations. Based on the information you provided, the ATO website states that the employee still needs to provide a completed TFN (Tax File Number) Declaration (NAT 3092) in addition to any other declarations.

In this case, the MYOB declaration alone may not be sufficient to meet ATO requirements. The TFN Declaration is a standard form provided by the ATO, and it is a legal requirement for both employers and employees in Australia. While MYOB's declaration may be part of your internal onboarding process, it's essential to ensure that you also collect the official TFN Declaration form from your employees.

To remain compliant with ATO regulations and to meet record-keeping requirements, you should continue to request that employees complete and provide the NAT 3092 Tax File Number Declaration form in addition to any internal documentation or declarations used by your organization, such as the MYOB declaration. This will help ensure that you have the necessary documentation for tax purposes. 

Please do let us know how you go on this.
    Regards,
    Earl