Calculated balance differs to closing statement balance

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JulieM09
Trusted Cover User
91 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

91Posts

14Kudos

6Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Calculated balance differs to closing statement balance

Up until this week, all my reconciliations balanced perfectly and nothing was out of balance, with lots of $0.00 in the right places on the reports.

This week, I am advised that I am $1130.17 out of balance.  There is no difference in the transactions listed on the reconciliation screen to what is showing on the bank statement itself.

I have - reluctantly - undone 3 reconciliations to see if I could identify where the problem is but the error persists.  I say reluctantly as until I did this, my reconciliations were all correct until this week. Now I have 3 weeks of reconciliatons that are wrong and I still have no idea where this error has come from.

Prior to undoing the reconciliations, I did run a "find transactions" report and there was a difference between the balance showing on the reconciliation screen and the "find transactions" balance, see attached.  I haven't done a new one since I undid the previous reconciliations but it won't matter as the difference persists.

How do I find the transaction that is throwing the balance??

Reconcile screen 1.png
Find transactions Bendigo Bank account.png
3 REPLIES 3
Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Calculated balance differs to closing statement balance

Hi @JulieM09 

I’d start by locating the reconciliation reports printed out at the time the reconciliations were completed and run the reconciliation report in the file today for the same dates. You’re comparing the two instances of the reports looking for anything that differs. If you identify a difference between the two instances of the report, you’ll need to check the next oldest report and keep going back until you find the point where the report printed at the time matches the same report for the same date printed today.

Once you’ve found the point where the reports match, then the next report would be where the discrepancy first appeared. You’d then be able to identify the discrepancy and work out what has been deleted or changed so that you could then take steps to resolve it and undo and redo the bank reconciliations accordingly

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

JulieM09
Trusted Cover User
91 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

91Posts

14Kudos

6Solutions

Thanks @Neil_M , it was something from back in June.  I would love to know hhow the accounts can balance beautifully then go out of sync but anyways, the bank account is now reconciled Smiley Happy

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Hi @JulieM09 

Broadly speaking, if a transaction has been reconciled and then something is changed on that transaction AccountRight will unreconciled the transaction.

Its worth noting that its generally any change and not just changing the amounts that can cause the reconciliation of a transaction. To avoid transactions becoming unreconciled we do recommend avoid changing anything on reconciled transactions

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post