Cash Receipts collected and used without banking it

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Kadiala
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Cash Receipts collected and used without banking it

Hi,

i'm new here and would be grateful to get some help.

i have some cash receipts which were not bank, rather being used.

how do i record it and will it affects my bank reconciliation and do i need to expense it ?

Thanks

Kadiala

5 REPLIES 5
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Cash Receipts collected and used without banking it

Hi @Kadiala 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forum. 

You do need to record that cash as income in Receive Money and also record it being spent in Spend Money. If this is something that happens on a regular basis for small amounts you could set up Petty Cash. 

Petty cash - Essentials

Petty cash - AccountRight

If petty cash doesn't suit you, please do let me know if you are using AccountRight of Essentials so that I can provide specific information.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Kadiala
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

@Tracey_H , Its being a practice since i joined the entity, and i'm concern if it will affect my bank reconciliation.

we are using AccountsRight plus. 

Regards

Kadiala

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Kadiala 

The way a bank reconciliation works is to match (reconcile) the deposits/withdrawals recorded in your software with the actual deposits/withdrawals that have occurred in the bank account. So whether the bank reconciliation will be affected depends on what steps are being taken:

• is an amount deposited into the actual bank account?
  • how are you recording the cash receipts and purchases in AccountRight?
  • what account are you selecting as the Deposit to and Pay From account when recording those transactions?

To be compliant with the ATO those cash receipts and purchases need to be recorded in AccountRight and using Petty Cash is one common method for handling this situation.

This help article explains how to set up and record petty cash in AccountRight: Petty Cash

If you need further assistance please do provide detailed information so that I can better assist.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Kadiala
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi 

@Tracey_H , The money was not deposited in the bank, it was delibrately not deposited how ever it was used by the person.

what we did was we recorded it as undeposited fund in the MYOB under received money and spend money when we actually spend the money by reducing invoices or increasing the expense account code.

we did not record it as bank deposit yet as im confused incased it will affect my bank rec and causes alot of future adjustments.

we have petty cash which will be recorded in MYOB, however the revenues received but not deposited is the concern.

How can i ractify this situation so that my bank reconciliations will not be affected?

Hope the above is clear as im new to MYOB.

Regards

Kadiala

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Kadiala 

If you receive a cash payment for $500, record the full payment in either Receive Money or Receive Payments to the Undeposited Funds account.

When that cash is used to make a purchase, record the purchase as Spend Money or Pay Bills to the Undeposited Funds account.

If the purchase was for the full $500, in the Prepare Bank Deposit window you will have a debit transaction (Receive Money/Payments) for $500 and a credit transaction (Spend Money/Pay bills) for $500. When you select both of those transactions the Bank Deposit amount is $0.00, as such, the bank reconciliation is not affected as no amount has been allocated to the Bank account.

If the purchase was for $300, when you select both of those transactions the Total Deposit Amount will be $200. This is the amount transfered to the bank account when you record the Prepare Bank Deposits transaction. You will need to actually deposit $200 into the bank account to reconcile with the Bank Deposit transaction.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post