Specify Category

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Srijay
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Specify Category

Our company file was moved to the cloud as required by STPphase 2. Our understanding of going online was that the file is now available to work in entirety (not only payroll) from anywhere with the app. However when we try to enter regular accounting transactions like spend and receive money, the error message pops up "You must specify a category". It's not possible to proceed further. Account categores were never set up for this company file in the desktop version. And we donot wnat categories. Does it mean that MYOB is still not truely ready for working online? Thich is a shame, as it serves little purpose going online. Thanks Jay

3 REPLIES 3
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Specify Category

Hi @Srijay 

The message you are encountering is not a payroll-specific message. It has been generated as Setup>>Preferences>System>>Turn on Category Tracking: Categories are Required on All Transactions has been enabled in the company file. Unticking that option or selecting the option to be Not Required will allow you to record the transactions without the message appearing.

More information on categories can be found on Help Article: Categories

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Srijay
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi

Let me redraft my query.

For this particular file, Categories are created to track income, expenses and assets for multiple business locations.

In the desktop version, it's possible to enter the category. However we donot see Category entry option in the online version, which means we're not able to make accounting entries from a different computer using the myob app. Why is this important feature omitted in the cloud version? 

Thanks

Jay

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @Srijay 

Thank you for that additional feedback

Currently, the category function is not available in the AccountRight browser interface as you have rightly mentioned. With the focus being on Jobs with that interface at this point in time. This does mean that in the AccountRight company file if you have categories enabled with the setting to be required you are limited to what actions you can complete in the browser interface. The recommendation would be to update that preference to be Categories are not required OR alternatively continue to use the desktop application at this time.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post