Partner Zone

2 Factor Authenication - Email Back up codes

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Joycekitchens
1 Post
Cover User
Australia
Cover User

1Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

2 Factor Authenication - Email Back up codes

We are having issues with 2 Factor Authentication.  We do not want to use phones as they are private for employees and have discovered that Email authentication does not come with backup codes which means if the user does not have email access (e.g. work email not accessible, working overseas) they cannot obtain access to MYOB.

MYOB help desk has advised that only options is to create another email and change MYOB access but this is not convenient for the user or use phone option but this is also not suitable especially if working overseas.

If phone can have backup codes why not email??

1 REPLY 1
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator
13,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

13,473Posts

1,623Kudos

1,916Solutions

Re: 2 Factor Authenication - Email Back up codes

HI @Joycekitchens

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a great resource

The app based 2FA authentication system allows you to download backup codes as a safeguard for if your device is lost or misplaced. Unlike the app-based system, backup codes cannot be generated or used. This is because the email based 2FA system is designed on the assumption that you do have access to the email setup during the process.

To think of it another way, if the authentication was based solely on your phone and this phone was lost then you cannot access any online services without recovering the codes. In contrast its generally not possible to lose an email address, as these can often be accessed through other means

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post