MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

2018.4 Remove tax code so account can be deleted

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced User CathS
27 Posts
Experienced User
CathS
Experienced User

27Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

2018.4 Remove tax code so account can be deleted

I am trying to set up a new file and want to use my own chart of accounts. Even MYOB's smallest  pre-filled chart of accounts has too many liabilities.  I can't delete the excess accounts as they are attached to a tax code, and I can't delete the tax code (they are all attached to the N-T tax code but none are linked accounts).

The method described here does not work as none of the accounts are linked:

https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Getting-started/Accounts-and-Tax-Codes/td-p/382025

Is this another issue due to having been sent 2018.4 before it has been properly tested?  This process has been beyond frustrating!

I would be grateful for any help! Thankyou.

5 REPLIES 5
MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
5,982 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

5982Posts

952Kudos

844Solutions

Re: 2018.4 Remove tax code so account can be deleted

Hi @CathS

From my own testing of 2018.4, it works as it does in previous software releases and I couldn't find anything squiff with this specifically.

I'm assuming you were trying to delete an account but got this message:

temp.png

Then when checking the Tax Codes, you're trying to delete the Tax Code that the account was linked to but could not.

Are you trying to delete the N-T Tax Code by any chance? If so, this won't allow you to delete this as it is blocked by the system. It also does not allow you to change the Tax Code or Type. This Behaviour was also present in previous releases of AccountRight 20xx.x

Let me know if my assumption was off and let us know if what kind of Tax Code you are trying to delete so we can know which one is there.

Cheers,

Hayden
MYOB Product Analyst

Helpful links:

Product Ideas: AccountRight | Essentials | MYOB Capture | MYOB Invoices
Support Links: Support Notes | Forum Search | Status Page

Experienced User CathS
27 Posts
Experienced User
CathS
Experienced User

27Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Hayden

That is exactly my issue!

Is there a fix for it?

I have reduced the number of accounts in earlier files, it would be frustrating to not be able to do it here!

Thanks

Cheers Cath

Experienced User CathS
27 Posts
Experienced User
CathS
Experienced User

27Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Hi again, I have managed to combine some accounts which has reduced the number of accounts.  I am honestly finding MYOB so difficult to use lately, I am struggling to defend it!

Thank you for trying to hekp though.

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,591 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2591Posts

1986Kudos

376Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @CathS

At @Hayden_B mentioned the Tax Code N-T is a compulsory Tax Code and the accounts currently linked to it cannot be deleted. 

Presumably in your new set of accounts there will be an account similar to GST Collected and GST Paid and perhaps a bank account.

You should be able to change the accounts linked to N-T by renumbering the account or re-naming it to suit what you want.

Alternatively link the N-T to any account (such as the bank account) for both Tax Collected and Paid. This should allow you to deleted the original accounts used for Tax Collected and Tax Paid. Once you have added your new accounts, change the links to the correct accounts.

Regards

Gavin

Experienced User CathS
27 Posts
Experienced User
CathS
Experienced User

27Posts

14Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin

Thank you again!

Setting up a chart of accounts shouldn't be so frustrating!

I managed to fix the issue by "combining" 2 of the accounts that I couldn't delete - MYOB will let you get rid of an account by combining it with another account but not by just deleting it!

It was only an issue with the liabilities as there are very few of them, for all of the other account types I could change the name to make it work.

I must say that it is also frustrating that MYOB "links" accounts and prevents you from deleting them too, it can unecessarily bulk up charts of accounts with accounts that you have no use for and means that you need to be careful when using them for other purposes.

*sigh*

Thank you very much again though.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post