Backing up multiple company files

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing Cover User sandwcox
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Backing up multiple company files

Hi,

We have about 5 individual company files. Each time I open a company file and close it a backup a zip file is created. Each company file will generate a zip file of the same name if backed up on the same day. My question is are they all the same file? ie Is the back up zip inclusive of ALL the company files MYOB has on my computer or just the one opened last? Should I just keep the last company file backed up for the day OR do I need to rename each backup zip so they dont over-write each other. Thanks for clarifying.

2 REPLIES 2
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,734 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

2,734Posts

2,097Kudos

0Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Backing up multiple company files

Hi @sandwcox

When you open a company file and create a backup using File > Back Up, this will backup only the company file you have open. If you then open another company file and do a backup, MYOB may well try use the same zip name. However Windows will not allow 2 files with the same name in the same location, so either you are using different locations for the zip, or one is overriding the other - in which case you will a message like 'MYOB0121.zip already exists. Do you want to replace it?'

If you are not seeing this message, this would confirm a different location is being used. You can see the location (as in the folder) at the top of the Backup window on most operating systems, or you can go up one folder at a time to see exactly where the backup is being saved.

What I would recommend if you have more than one company is to always override the default backup file name. For example by prefixing the name with the name of the company  - ABC_MYOB0121.ZIP. This way you can readily tell which company file is backed up - should you need to restore. This will also avoid any possibility of overriding one backup with another.

Regards

Gavin

Contributing Cover User sandwcox
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Backing up multiple company files

Thank you so much!